Link

Social

Embed

Download

Download
Download Transcript

[1. CALL TO ORDER]

[00:00:05]

>> I'D LIKE TO CALL THIS MEETING TO ORDER.

THIS IS THE FORT PIERCE REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY.

IT IS TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 8. PLEASE STAND FOR THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE. I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAGT ES OF AMERICA, AND TO THE REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND

JUSTICE FOR ALL. >> CALL THE ROLL PLEASE.

THE PUBLIC AND I DON'T BELIEVE WE HAD ANYONE SIGN UP.

>> OK. SO WE'LL MOVE ON.

I DON'T SEE ANY MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC.

[a. Approval of Proposed Fiscal Year 2020-21 Operating Budget.]

NEW BUSINESS. FIRST ITEM IS APPROVAL OF THE FISCAL YEAR 2020-21 OPERATING BUDGET.

>> DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO START THIS OFF WITH?

>> YES, MA'AM. I'D LIKE TO SAY WE'RE GOING TO HAVE OUR DIRECTOR OF FINANCE PRESENT THE OPERATING BUDGET FOR FY21. THIS WAS CRAFTED AFTER WE HELD OUR PUBLIC BUDGET WORKSHOP AND THERE HAS BEEN A RECENT CHANGE TO OUR BUDGET TO REFLECT SOMETHING THAT IS WITHIN OUR STRATEGIC GOAL WE'RE EXCITED ABOUT MOVING FORWARD AND THAT INVOLVES OUR POLICE DEPARTMENT. I'LL TURN IT OVER AT THIS TIME AND SHE'LL GIVE US A BRIEF OVERVIEW OF OUR OPERATING BUDGET

FOR FPRA. >> THANK YOU.

I'M PULLING UP THE CORRECT REPORT.

LET'S WORK FROM THE CORRECT ONE. >> IS IT DIFFERENT THAN WHAT IS

ON THE AGENDA? >>

. >> WE JUST HAVE THE LINE ITEM.

>> HERE WE ARE. WE HAVE OUR PROPOSED BUDGET FOR FPRA AND IT IS REPRESENTING A BUDGET OF $7,538,617, AN INCREASE OF $633,583 FROM LAST FISCAL YEAR.

THERE HAVE BEEN CHANGES SINCE WE ORIGINALLY PRESENTED THE BUDGET.

THE FIRST IS OUR AD VALOREM TAXES.

THERE IS A SLIGHT DECREASE AS TO WHAT WE HAD PREVIOUSLY BECAUSE OF THE COUNTY'S PROPOSED MILLAGE RATE DECREASE THEY ARE PRESENTING. I HAVE TO MAKE AN ADJUSTMENT FOR THAT. IT'S STILL AN INCREASE OF $511,157,000 OVER LAST FISCAL YEAR.

THE OTHER MAIN CHANGE IS AND MRN HIS RATIONAL.

IF YOU CAN REMEMBER THE LAST TIME WE HAD DISCUSSION ON COPS HIRING GRANT. MR. MIMS DECIDED THAT HE'S GOING TO BUDGET FOR FIVE ACCEPT THE GRANT AND WE'RE GOING TO BUDGET FOR FIVE OFFICERS AND THEY ARE PUTTING THOSE OFFICERS IN THE FPRA BUDGET BECAUSE FPRA, THEY ARE GOING TO BE SPECIFIC TO THE FPRA AREA AND FPRA IS GOING TO FUND DIFFERENCE FOR THAT.

THE REVENUE THAT IS GOING TO BE RECEIVED FOR THOSE FIVE OFFICE 76ERS $208,333 AND THE EXPENSE IS 333,419.

IT'S A NET OF $125,000 FOR THE FIRST THREE YEARS FOR THOSE FIVE

OFFICERS. >>

[00:05:07]

FIVE OFFICERS, IF WE USE IT WITHIN SAY A YEAR OR SO?

>> THEY ARE GOING TO ALTER THE GRANT AWARD ONCE THEY RECEIVE IT. I DON'T KNOW ALL OF THE STIPULATIONS AS TO HOW THE GRANT WORKS AFTER THEY GO IN AND DO AN AMENDMENT BECAUSE THEY WERE PREVIOUSLY AWARDED AMOUNT.

I THINK ONCE THEY AMEND IT, IT'S JUST AMENDED.

INSTEAD OF 10 IT'S FIVE. >> 100 SOMETHING THOUSAND.

>> THAT'S THE NET COST, 125,000 FOR THE FIRST THREE YEARS FOR

THOSE FIVE. >> EACH YEAR S THAT ANNUALLY.

>> THAT IS ANNUALLY AND ANY INCREASE WOULD BE AN INCREASE ON US. IT'S 125 NOW.

THEY ARE ONLY GOING TO PAY THAT FOR THOSE THREE YEARS, THAT'S A SET AMOUNT THE GRANT IS GOING TO PAY.

ANY INCREASE IN WAGE OR OVER TIME OR BENEFIT INCREASE, WE

HAVE TO PAY. >> AFTER THE THREE YEARS WE HIRE THEM ON FOR A MINIMUM OF A YEAR. THAT'S STILL IN PLACE RIGHT?

>> FULL FUNDING. >> IT HAS TO BE IN OUR GENERAL FUND SO WE WOULD HAVE TO MOVE THEM OVER.

>> I REMEMBER BRINGING THIS ITEM UP AT ONE OF THE COMMISSION MEETINGS, JUMPED OVER THE TEN OFFICERS AND HAVING A GRANT.

WE HAD A REALLY GOOD REASON FOR SAY NOTHING WAY.

BUT IT JUST -- I THINK IT REALLY SHOWS THE DYNAMIC IN OUR STAFF TO BE ABLE TO TAKE ANOTHER LOOK AT IT AND GO THROUGH THE PROCESS. I DIDN'T BADGER STAFF AFTER THAT. I WAS HAPPY WITH THE ANSWER THAT I GOT. IT ALL GOES TO OUR CITY MANAGER HAS A SAYING WE WILL FIND A WAY TO GET IT DONE.

AND AGAIN -- JUST BEEN ON OUR WAY, SAID NO TO THE GRANT AND MOVE ON.

WE FOUND A NEED FOR IT FIRST OF ALL AND FOUND A WAY TO PAY FOR IT. AND WE FOUND A WAY TO HELP OUR COMMUNITY BE BETTER THAN IT WAS. IT JUST SHOWS YOU IF IT'S SOMETHING THAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN, NICK WILL FIND A WAY TO GET IT DONE. I MUST SAY THIS IS ALL MR. MIMS.

>> ONE OF FIVE IN THE NATION. HONOR TO SERVE AND PROTECT.

WE PLAN TO GROW I HOPE IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF YEARS. WE SHOULD HAVE, THAT WILL RELIEVE SOME OTHER OFFICERS TO BE ABLE TO COVER THAT AREA.

FPRA OUGHT TO BE ABLE TO SUSTAIN ITSELF -- DISCERN TURN I'M NOT QUESTIONING OUR STAFF. WHAT A DIFFERENCE TEN OFFICERS WOULD MAKE IN THIS CITY OF FORT PIERCE.

THAT'S ALL. I APPRECIATE STAFF.

>> THE BIG QUESTION I REMEMBER FROM LAST MEETING IS THERE WAS A FORMULA ASSOCIATED WITH THE GRANT.

>> 25%? WE ARE RESPONSE -- THEY ONLY PAY 75%. IT'S 75% OF THE AWARD WHICH IT WAS 1.2 MILLION FOR THREE YEAR TOTAL.

THAT'S ABOUT $416,000 A YEAR ANNUALLY THEY WILL PAY.

ANYTHING OVER AND ABOVE THAT WE ARE RESPONSIBLE.

IT'S A MINIMUM OF 25%. THAT MAY NOT BE THE TOTAL AMOUNT THAT YOU PAY. THE TEN OFFICERS, THAT WAS GOING

[00:10:10]

TO BE TOUGH. WE HAD A DISCUSSION WHAT YEAR FOUR WAS GOING TO LOOK LIKE. THAT WAS THE TOUGHEST PART OF THE FORMULA IN THE CONVERSATION. I'M HAPPY TO SEE WE FOUND A WAY TO MAKE IT HAPPEN AT THIS POINT, AT LEAST TALK ABOUT IT AGAIN.

THANK YOU. >> WE HAD TO SIT DURING THE TIMES OF THE RECESSION. WE HAD A COMMUNITY POLICING SECTION FUNDING FOR OFFICERS. AS WE DIPPED INTO THE RECESSION AND WE COULD NO LONGER FUND THE OFFICERS AND WE HAD TO MOVE THE OFFICERS TO THE GENERAL FUND AND OUR COMMUNITY POLICING BASICALLY CEASED. WITH THIS INITIATIVE WE NOT ONLY HAVE COMMUNITY POLICING, REINITIATED BUT WE ARE ACHIEVING ONE OF OUR STRATEGY GOALS. THAT WAS TO HAVE A SPECIAL POLICE FORCE TO ADDRESS TARGETED AREAS.

I THINK WE'RE ACHIEVING OUR STRATEGY GOALS AND FINDING A WAY TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. I BELIEVE WE CAN FINANCIALLY SUSTAIN THIS PROGRAM FOR THE NEXT FOUR YEARS.

>> IT'S A WIDE AREA --

. >> HE JUST CONFIRMED WHAT I WAS GOING TO ASK ABOUT THE OFFICERS THAT IS GOING TO BE REQUIRED TO BE IN THE FPRA AREA, NOTHING OUTSIDE OF FPRA RIGHT?

>> RIGHT. THAT'S WHAT THE CHIEF HAS SAID.

THAT'S WHAT WE ARE EXPECTING. >> SO THE POLICE DEPARTMENT NEEDS TO UNDERSTAND THAT'S THE WAY IT'S GOT TO BE.

YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M SAYING? IT'S A BIG RELIEF AND I AGREE WITH EVERYBODY ELSE PRIOR TO COMING HERE JUST TO PULL THIS OFF BECAUSE IT WAS JUST TO LOOK AT IT AND SEE IT GO AWAY BECAUSE WE COULD NOTIFYING YOU'RE OUT HOW THE CONTINUE TO DO IT.

I COMMEND YOU FOR COMING ONE A SOLUTION AND THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT. IF THERE IS EVER A CITY THAT NEEDED THESE AMOUNT OF OFFICERS FUNDED AND TO HAVE THEM, IT'S CERTAINLY OURS. NOW LET ME ASK YOU THIS.

CAN IT GO TOWARDS THE ACADEMY OR IS IT ONLY FOR HIRING PURPOSES AFTER AND THE REASON I'M ASKING IS CAN WE RECRUIT NEW OFFICERS AND PAY FOR TRAINING THROUGH ACADEMY OR IS THIS SOMETHING THAT ONLY KICKS IN AFTER THE OFFICER IS CERTIFIED?

>> I THINK IT'S HIRE , THE GRANT SPECIFICALLY SAYS A HIRING OF A NEW OFFICER. I DON'T THINK IT WILL FUND THE INITIAL. IT'S JUST BRINGING THEM ON AS AN OFFICER TO WORK IT DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT FUNDING OF ANY OF THE PREREQUIREMENTS OR ANYTHING. IT'S JUST THE SALARY AND WAGE TO

BRING THEM ON. >> I'M CURIOUS TO KNOW IF ANYBODY MIGHT NOW. HOW MUCH IS IT TO GO THROUGH AN ACADEMY , THE AVERAGE? SOMEBODY KNOWS, COME ON UP.

>> GOOD AFTERNOON. THE OFFICER SAID IT TAKES ABOUT $4,000 TO GO THROUGH ACADEMY. THAT'S EVERYTHING INVOLVED.

[00:15:03]

>> BECAUSE THAT IS GOING TO BE SOMETHING I GUESS WE WOULD TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION. IF WE'RE GOING TO HIRE NEW PEOPLE ESPECIALLY LOCALS, LOCAL PEOPLE AND QUITE A FEW LOCAL PEOPLE THAT I ENCOUNT THEY'RE WANT TO BECOME POLICE OFFICERS.

THE BIGGEST CAVEAT WITH THE FIRE DEPARTMENT AND POLICE DEPARTMENT IS THE CERTIFICATION AND WHO IS GOING TO BEAR THE COST.

IF WE CAN FIGURE THAT OUT IF IN FACT THAT DOES HAPPEN BECAUSE I WOULD HOPE THAT AS WE GO OUT AND HIRE AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AT LEAST IN MY MIND HIRING LOCAL PEOPLE AND IF THERE IS EVER A POSITION THAT WOULD WARRANT LOCAL HIRING POLICE OFFICERS, IT'S A DOMINO THAT'S CORRECT PAYS OFF EVEN THOUGH IT TAKES A SPECIAL KIND OF OFFICER. BECAUSE I KNOW PERSONALLY WE'VE HAD A COUPLE COMING IN THAT WERE LOCAL AND THEY COULDN'T HANDLE IT BECAUSE THEY WERE LOCAL AND WENT ELSEWHERE.

IT HAS A LOT OF PLUSES TO IT. I HOPE WE PUT A LOT OF EMPHASIS ON THAT TRYING TO GET LOCAL OFFICERS.

>> I HEARD YOU SAY IT AT THE END OF YOUR PRESENTATION AND I WANT TO CONFIRM FORWARD. YEAR NUMBER FOUR WOULD BE PAID OUT OF GENERAL FUND. WE MAY WANT TO TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO PAY BACK THE CITY OF FORT PIERCE GENERAL FUND TO

PAY BACK THAT EXPENSE. >> THAT IS VERY GOOD FOR THE RECORD. THAT IS VERY GOOD THINKING.

>> ARE YOU GOING THROUGH OPERATING BUDGET?

>> I AM. I THINK ABOUT THREE MORE POINTERS I'M GOING TO MAKE. WE HAVE THE 350,000 CONTINUED TO BE ALLOCATED FOR OUR SCHOOL RESOURCE OFFICERS.

THEN A BACKUP OR IS THERE ANOTHER SCHOOL?

>> NO JUST TWO SCHOOLS. >> WHAT ABOUT CENTRAL? TABLE SHERIFF WOULD LIKE TO HOLD ON THAT TO THE THAT.

>> I THOUGHT WE WERE TRYING TO TARGET SCHOOLS IN THE CITY LIMITS. WHAT GREATER IMPACT THAN TO BE ABLE FOR OUR OFFICERS TO HAVE A RELATIONSHIP WITH WESTWOOD AND CENTRAL. THAT WOULD TAKE A BITE OUT OF CRIME. SO I HOPE THAT IS SOMETHING I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE WESTWOOD TOO. ESPECIALLY WHEN I LOOK AT THE AREAS WITH CRIME THE HEAVIEST AND RESOURCE OFFICERS, NOT TO TAKE NEIGH WAY FROM THE SHERIFF DEPARTMENT BUT THAT'S WHY WE GOT

THE POLICE DEPARTMENT. >> I CAN RESEARCH IT AND SEE IF THERE IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR THE CITY TO GET INTO FORT PIERCE CENTRAL. I KNOW SHERIFF WANTED TO HANG ON TO --

>> I CAN IMAGINE WHY. HE'S PROBABLY THINKING WHAT I'M THINKING WHAT IT DOES FOR THE DEPARTMENT AND HOW THEY CAN GET IN AND SOLVE CRIME AND THE SNITCHES , THE PEOPLE THAT TALK.

KIDS TELL ON EACH OTHER. BETWEEN FACEBOOK AND BRAGGING THEY TALK. FOR TO US HAVE OFFICERS IN THAT POSITION, I THINK IT WOULD BE BENEFICIAL FOR US.

>> AN INCREASE OF $500,000 TO THE GENERAL FUND.

[00:20:11]

>>

>> TRANSFER THE ENTIRE 450 AND ONCE THAT WENT IN AND DID A RECONFIGURATION OF THEIR ACTUAL BUDGET EXPENSES, COST RUN THEM ABOUT $450,000 IT'S MORE THAN $450,000.

IF WE TOOK EVERYTHING OUT AND THE FACT WE STILL HAVE STAFF, WE STILL HAVE UTILITY COST AND INSURANCE COST AND THINGS LIKE THAT, HARD COST WE STILL WILL HAVE A COST FOR THAT AS LONG AS IT'S OPEN. IF WE DON'T CLOSE IT DOWN COMPLETE A AND TURN OFF THE UTILITY COST OR ANY OF THOSE HARD COST, WE WILL ALWAYS HAVE A COST THAT IS ASSOCIATED THERE.

EVEN THOUGH -- >> THEY ARE GOING TO STILL BE THE -- YOU SAID IT'S 450 EVERY YEAR THEY ARE GOING TO BE BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT SUSTAINING THEMSELVES.

WE NEED TO DRAW A LINE. I'M DRAWING A LINE.

I ASKED A QUESTION. I KNOW THE PEOPLE COME BEFORE US ABOUT THAT. IF I OFFENDED ANYBODY , SO BE IT. I ASKED THE QUESTION.

>> >> JUST TO FOLLOW UP ON THE DISCUSSION. THE SUNRISE THEATER HAS BEEN OPERATING IN A VERY -- SINCE MARCH WE'VE STOPPED PERFORMANCES IN THE BIG THAT'SER. THEY ARE STILL DOING EVENTS IN THE BLACK BOX. WE HAVE CUT BACK EXPENDITURES DRAMATICALLY. WE HAVE REDUCED STAFF.

WE'VE REDUCED EXPENDITURES AND OTHER RESOURCES.

FUNDRAISING FOR EVERY ENTITY. SUNRISE THAT'SER IS AN ECONOMIC ENTITY FOR DOWNTOWN. THEY WANT IT TO BE OPERABLE.

I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT WE ALL KNOW THIS AND MOVING FORWARD WE'VE TALKED ABOUT NOT JUST ONE LUMP SUM TRANSFER BUT A QUARTERLY TRANSFER TO SEE HOW THE SUNRISE THEATER OPERATES AND AS A DEPARTMENT OF THE CITY OF FORT PIERCE WE LOOK AT SUNRISE AS RECREATIONAL AND CULTURAL TYPE OF VENUE.

IT PROSIDE A GREAT DEAL OF CULTURE AND ENTERTAINMENT FOR OUR COMMUNITY. WE'RE HERE THE MAKE SURE IT'S SUCCESSFUL AND THRIVES AND IT WAS DOING THAT.

>> I DON'T MEAN TO CUT YOU OFF. IT'S BEEN SITTING THERE EVER

SINCE I'VE BEEN A COMMISSIONER. >> I HAVE EVERY ENVISION TO PUSH THE LINCOLN THEATER AS MUCH AS WE CAN.

WE MET WITH THE LINCOLN PARK SUBCOMMITTEE AND THE MARTIN LUTHER KING COMMITTEE. THEY ARE MOVING VERY SLOW.

WE EVEN WENT TO THEM WITH A PROPOSED INTERLOCAL AGREEMENT AND THEY DID NOT WANT TO HAVE THE CITY OF FORT PIERCE BE A PARTNER IN THE OWNERSHIP OF THAT THEATER.

WE ARE HERE TO SUPPORT THEIR EFFORTS.

BUT THAT IS A PRIVATE ENTITY AND WE ARE ALL FOR WHAT THE REHABILITATION OF THE LINCOLN THEATER.

IT IS A STRONG CENTERPIECE COMPONENT OF THE REHABILITATION ESPECIALLY AVENUE D CORRIDOR. WE ARE VERY SUPPORTIVE SIR.

[00:25:07]

>> I'M NOT QUESTIONING THE SURVIVAL OF THE THEATER.

IF IT WAS $50,000 LAST YEAR AND THEN, WHAT WOULD IT HAVE COST US? I'M JUST ASKING AGAIN.

THIS IS CITIZEN MONEY THAT YOU ARE SPENDING AND THEY ASK ME THE QUESTION. I DON'T HAVE THE ANSWER.

I DO HAVE QUESTIONS OF MY OWN. >> I SHARE THE SAME S SENTIMENTS AS YOU IN THAT REGARDS. I'LL BE HONEST WITH YOU, WHILE I HEAR SUPPORT OF IT AND THEY HAVE BEEN CREATIVE IN KEEPING THE EXISTENCE OF THE THEATER GOING AND NOT TO BRING THEM DOWN BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO, AT THE END OF THE DAY IT'S ALL ABOUT THIS DECISIONS WHAT WE WANT TO DO AS RELATES TO THE SUNRISE. I LIKE YOU AND I EXPRESS THIS ALL THE TIME AND I'M REAL WITH THE BOARD WHEN I GO IN AND SAY IF THINGS THAT YOU JUST SAID AND I ENCOURAGE THEM TO WATCH THESE MEETINGS TO FIND OUT WHAT THE FINANCIAL WHERE WITH ALL IS AND WHAT THE POSITION IS AS RELATES TO REPETITIVELY FUNDING THE SUNRISE UNDER THESE CONDITIONS AS WELL AS PREVIOUS TIMES BEFORE THE PANDEMIC. AND I JUST TELL THEM POINT BLANK I'M GETTING TIRED. AND IF THEY WERE HEAR THEY WOULD TELL YOU. AND I GET FRUSTRATED TOO.

BY THE SAME TOKEN ON THE FLIP SIDE OF THAT THE CALLS AND WHAT THE PUBLIC PUT INTO IT IT WAS LIKE A PROJECT AND THE MAJOR INVESTMENT THAT THE CITY PUT INTO IT AND ALSO THAT AS MR. MIMS SAID IF THE SUNRISE LEAVES , THE SUNRISE IN THE COURTHOUSE WE DON'T HAVE A DOWNTOWN.

AND THOSE ARE TWO THINGS REST ASSURED AS SURE AS I'M SITTING HERE IT WOULD BE LIKE I SAID WE WOULDN'T HAVE A DOWNTOWN PERIOD.

AND IF IT WASN'T FOR THAT, I WOULD SAY IT'S TIME THAT WE DRAW THE LINE. JUST OUT OF ANTICIPATION AND HOPING THAT AT LEAST THEY CAN GET BACK WHERE THEY WERE BEFORE WITH AT LEAST BEING SELF-SUSTAINING BEFORE THE PANDEMIC, I'M ANTICIPATING AND HOPING AND PRAYING WE WILL GET BACK IN THAT POSITION AND THIS IS SOMETHING I MAY NOT EVEN BE HERE. FY AM HERE, THIS IS SOMETHING THAT BILL WATCHING CLOSELY TOO. BECAUSE YOU ARE RIGHT AND AS I SAY AND I CATCH A LOT OF CRITICISM TOO.

ESPECIALLY IN MY DISTRICT ABOUT THIS SUNRISE THEATER.

WE NEED TO PAVE SOME STREETS. THE MONEY WE'RE PUTTING INTO THE SUNRISE, WE NEED START DOING SOME OTHER THINGS.

IT'S AN ECONOMIC ENGINE. IT'S AN INVESTMENT THAT WE PUT A WHOLE LOT OF MONEY INTO AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST, IT IS A HUGE SECRET THAT I WANT TO START SEEING DISTRICT ONE TAKE MORE ADVANTAGE OF AND UTILIZE. AND THEN MAYBE THEY WOULD APPRECIATE THAT THE MIND SET OF A LOT OF PEOPLE IN DISTRICT ONE IS THAT NUMBER ONE, IT'S OFF LIMITS BECAUSE OF THE PAST.

>> AND THE LINCOLN THEATER, SAME THING, WE NEED TO PUT MONEY INTO THE LINCOLN THEATER. IN THE MEANTIME IT'S NOT OFF LIMITS TO EVERYBODY. EVERYBODY CAN USE IT.

WE NEED TO START USING IT. SO I HOPE WE CAN GET TO SUNRISE.

THEIR RECEPTION HAS NOT BEEN WHAT I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE.

THEY'VE NOT BEEN RECEPTIVE TO IT IN TERMS OF THE CITY OFFERING

[00:30:02]

HELP. WE'LL HAVE TO PUT OUR FOOT DOWN AND FORCE THEM TO TAKE SOME MONEY TO HAVE SOME AUTHORITY ABOUT THE DECISION MAKING OVER THERE, THEN WE NEED TO DO THAT.

I WOULD SAY TO YOU GIVE IT A LITTLE MORE TIME.

LET'S SEE WHAT THE OUTCOME WILL BE.

I THINK THINGS WILL GET BETTER. IF NOT THEN WE THE DECISION MAKERS NEED TO MAKE HARD DECISIONS.

THAT'S IT FOR ME. >> I HAVE SUPPORTED IT LONG BEFORE SOME OF Y'ALL THOUGHT ABOUT BEING A COMMISSIONER.

I'M NOT CONDEMNING THE SUNRISE THEATER.

ALL I WANT TO LET KNOW DISTRICT ONE, DISTRICT TWO, THAT DISTRICT ONE -- I JUST WANT TO YOU KNOW THAT I'M NOT PLANNING TO MOVE WHATSOEVER.

THERE ARE PLENTY OF PROPERTIES I CAN PUT A HOME ON.

AVENUE D IS INSTALLED IN ME. MY FAMILY WAS HERE A LONG TIME.

AND MY FAMILY BEEN IN BUSINESS SINCE 1925.

I'M NOT CONDEMNING WHATSOEVER. ALL I WANT TO DO IS MAKE THE BETTERMENT OF THE CITY AS A WHOLE.

NOT JUST DOWNTOWN. >> YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MANY MILLIONS OF DOLLARS THEY SPENT DOWNTOWN AND ON THE BEACH FROM FPRA. IF YOU DON'T KNOW YOU SHOULD PULL AND ASK THAT QUESTION. I DON'T KNOW HOW OTHERS MAY FEEL ABOUT IT. I'M NOT CONDEMNING IT BUT I STILL HAVE SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT IT.

>> I'VE GOT THE SHEET OF THAT AT HOME SOME PLACE.

MIGHT BE GOOD TO DISTRIBUTE IT TO US BY DISTRICT.

>> PROCEED. >> THAT CONCLUDES OUR BUDGET PRESENTATION. IT IS BALANCED AND READY FOR

YOUR APPROVAL. >> I MOVE TO APPROVE.

>> IS THERE A SECOND? >> SECOND.

>> IS THERE ANY DISCUSSION? >> CALL THE ROLL PLEASE.

>> YES. >> YES, MA'AM.

>> YES, MA'AM. >> YES, MA'AM.

>> YES, MA'AM. >> THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

THANK YOU FOR GOING THAT EXTRA FILE AND BEING CREATIVE.

I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. THINGS ARE LOOKING GOOD.

FOR HOW BAD THEY ARE LOOKING. WE'RE ANYWAY PANDEMIC RIGHT.

>> NEXT ITEM IS REQUEST APPROVAL TO INTROENTER INTO NEGOTIATIONS

[b. Request approval to enter into negotiations with Shelby & Shelby Development & East to West Development, the top ranked firm, for the development of Oaks at Moore's Creek Phase II.]

WITH SHELBY AND SHELBY DEVELOPMENT AND EAST TO WEST DEVELOPMENT THE TOP RANKED FIRM FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF OAKS AT

MOORE'S CREEK PHASE TWO. >> WE HAVE OUR PROJECT MANAGER WHICH IS SPECIAL PROJECT COORDINATOR AND SHE'LL TALK TO US TODAY ABOUT OUR NEXT STEP WITH OUR RFP PROCESS FOR OAK AT

MOORE'S CREEK PHASE TWO. >> BIDS CLOSE ON AUGUST 18.

JUST TO GIVE YOU A LIT BIT OF BACKGROUND.

WE SENT OUT THE INVITATION TO 650 VENDORS.

OF THAT 24 ACTUALLY REQUESTED THE BID REQUIREMENTS.

AND WE ONLY HAD TWO TO ACTUALLY SUBMIT BIDS.

OF THOSE TWO ONLY ONE ACTUALLY MET THE BID SPECIFICATIONS.

THAT IS THE DEVELOPER I'M REQUESTING THIS EVENING WE ENTER INTO AGREEMENT WITH, ENTER INTO NEGOTIATIONS IN REFERENCE TO THE

OAKS AT MOORE'S CREEK PHASE TWO. >> THIS DEVELOPER WAS INTERESTED IN THE PROPERTY IN 2015 WHEN IT WAS PUT OUT TO BID THEN.

[00:35:04]

THEY HAVE EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE IN DEVELOPING PROJECTS THAT ARE THROUGHOUT THE STATE OF FLORIDA. THE OTHER COMPANY WHICH IS COASTAL, THEIR BID WAS BASICALLY TO FOR TRASH REMOVAL RECEPTACLE BEING TO REMOVE TRASH AND THAT SORT OF THING.

IT DID NOT MEET THE SPECIFICATIONS.

THAT'S WHY THEY ARE NOT CONSIDERED.

WE DID NOT CONVENE AN EVALUATION COMMITTEE BECAUSE WE ONLY HAD ONE PROPOSAL THAT FIT THE SPECIFICATIONS.

AND I THINK THEY ARE IN GOOD COMPANY BASED ON THE PROPOSAL THEY SUBMITTED. AND BASED ON THE RECOMMENDATIONS THAT CAME FROM OTHER CITIES. SO I'M HERE TO ASK THAT AWE PROVE THE REQUEST TO MOVE FORWARD WITH BEGINNING NEGOTIATIONS WITH SHELBY AND SHELBY.

>> THE LAST -- THE FIRST PHASE WENT -- THERE WERE SOME REQUIREMENTS FOR PEOPLE TO BE ELIGIBLE.

THEY HAD TO BE I THINK FOR LACK OF A BETTER WORD ESSENTIAL WORKERS LIKE IN THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY OR TEACHERS OR POLICEMAN. AND SO ARE WE DID WE PUT IN THE RFP, DID WE ASK FOR THAT KIND OF ELIGIBILITY IN THIS?

>> NOT AT THIS TIME. >> I KNOW I WILL SAY WE HAVE R NOT GETTING INTO THE MORTGAGE BUSINESS AGAIN.

>> YAY. >> YOU ALL MADE THAT VERY CLEAR TO ME. AND WE'RE NOT GOING TO.

WE'RE NOT GETTING INTO THE MORTGAGE BUSINESS.

WE'RE ASKING FOR A DEVELOP TORE COME IN AND PROVIDE DEVELOPMENT IN OUR RESIDENTIAL AREAS. WHAT WE HAVE THE VALUE OF THE

LAND. >> WE HAVE THE LAND.

AND THAT IN ITSELF HOPEFULLY SHOULD ENTICE DEVELOPMENT OF THIS TYPE. I THINK THEY'VE DONE A TREMENDOUS JOB IN THEIR OTHER LOCATIONS THROUGHOUT SOUTH FLORIDA. WE ARE NOT GETTING INTO THE MORTGAGE BUSINESS. WE'RE NOT EVEN GETTING INTO THE

PREQUALIFICATION BUSINESS. >> WE'RE NOT GOING TO TALK ABOUT WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO BUY A HOUSE OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT.

>> WE'RE NOT. >> ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?

>> >> YOU SAID THE OTHER GROUP DIDN'T REALLY MEET THE SCOPE. I HEARD THAT THE BOARD DIDN'T MEET OR COMMITTEE DIDN'T MEET. IF THEY DIDN'T MEET THE SCOPE

TTHEY ARE OK. >> I WAS NOT PART OF THAT SELECTION. THAT IS SOMETHING THAT IS ROUTINELY DONE. IF IT WAS DEEMED UNRESPONSIVE IT'S UNRESPONSIVE. THERE IS ALWAYS A CHANCE A PROTEST COULD HAPPEN IN ANY SITUATION.

>> I WANT TO MAKE SURE FROM THIS PERSPECTIVE OF DISQUALIFYING A GROUP WE HAVE A QUICK DISCUSSION ON THAT.

>> MY UNDERSTANDING IS IT WAS CLEAR ON ITS FACE IT DIDN'T MEET

THE STANDARDS. >> AND THE GROUP THAT IS HERE BEFORE US, THEY'VE GOT A DYNAMIC PLAN.

I'VE LOOKED THROUGH IT AND THEY HAVE A GOOD BUSINESS MODEL AND

GOOD BUSINESS PLAN IT APPEARS. >> YES, SIR.

>> IS THAT ACCURATE? >> YES, SIR.

>> DO YOU DO ANY VETTING? IF THEY MET THE REQUIRES THEY MET THE REQUIREMENTS. THAT'S ALL THE VETTING YOU DO AT

THIS PHASE SPOKANE. >> IN THE PAST WE'VE GONE TO VISIT DEVELOPERS PRODUCTS AND TALKED TO MUNICIPALITIES AND BUSINESSES. WE'LL DO OUR OWN RESEARCH.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO BRING TO THE TABLE. IF WE CAN GET THEM TO SIT DOWN AT THE TABLE. WE WANT TO BRING AN AWARD WINNING PRODUCT THAT WILL ACCENT WAIT WHAT IS ALREADY THERE.

I THINK HOMES ARE VERY WELL KEPT.

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL AREA AND IF WE CAN ACCENT WAIT WHAT THE ALREADY THERE WE CAN CREATE A SUSTAINABLE NEIGHBORHOOD.

WE'LL TAKE A FIELD TRIP OR SOMETHING AND TAKE A LOOK AT --

>> THE PROCESS OF THE NEXT STEP. >> OK.

>> ARE WE GOING TO TO IMPOSE ANY TYPE OF ANSWER ON THESE PROJECTS, PROVIDING THE PROPERTY ITSELF IS A VALUE.

[00:40:07]

I'M JUST ASKING QUESTIONS ARE WE GOING TO INCLUDE TITLE ESSENCE

ON THE PROPERTY? >> I'VE NOT BEEN INVOLVED IN THIS PROCESS WHATSOEVER. IF THAT IS THE WILL OF SPECIAL PROJECTS AND MR. MIMS I SUSPECT THEY WILL FOLLOW YOUR REQUEST.

>> I'M ASKING YOU THE LEGAL PART OF IT.

I THOUGHT WE HAD TO DISCUSS WE WOULD INCLUDE THAT IN ALL OUR

CONTRACTS. >> WE CAN.

WE CAN PUT IN A DEADLINE OR TIME FRAME OR NUMBER OF PHASES OR TIME WHATEVER. THAT IS A POLICY DECISION.

LEGALLY YOU CAN DO IT. >> THANK YOU.

>> THIS IS THE AUTHORIZATION TO NEGOTIATE SO WE CAN COME BACK WITH A CONTRACT AND TALK ABOUT THOSE TERMS RIGHT?

>> YES. >> AND THERE WAS MENTION OF WHETHER THEY LEASE THE LAND OR THAT ALL HAS TO BE NEGOTIATED.

ALL OF IT. >> AND JUST TO ADD ON TO WHAT MR. SWEENEY WAS SAYING, TYPICALLY WHAT WE'VE DONE WITH THESE DEVELOPMENTS IS WE HAVE ESTABLISHED MILESTONES.

AND THESE MILESTONES COME WAY CERTAIN TIME OR DATE ASSOCIATED.

IF THEY DON'T MEET THESE MILESTONES WE CAN EVALUATE THEIR PERFORMANCE OVER A CERTAIN PERIOD OF TIME.

TIPPEDLY FIRST YEAR OR TWO YEARS.

IF THEY HAVE NOT MADE SIGNIFICANT PROCESS THEN WE CAN

LOOK GUARD THE CONTRACT. >> GOOD POINT.

>> I WANT TO FOLLOW ONE THAT WITH OUR ATTORNEY.

COMMISSIONER ALEXANDER WAS SAYING WAS IT GOING TO BE PUT THIS PLACE. I'M ASKING FROM YOUR FAMILIARITY WITH THE PROJECT AND THE EXTENT THAT YOU ARE WITH THE CONCERNS

THAT HAVE BEEN ADDRESSED. >> I CAN'T REALLY OPINE ON THAT.

THAT IS SOMETHING PROJECT COORDINATOR IS GOING TO HAVE TO TELL YOU. LEGALLY YOU COULD.

AS MR. MIMS SAYS, YOU ROUTINELY SEE THIS IN PROJECTS OF ALL SCALE AND SIZE. IF IT WAS THREE HOUSES, WE MIGHT REQUIRE THEM TO BE DONE IN 24 MONTHS.

CAN I GET TO YOU DO THIS THEN? I LIKE AT LEAST FROM A LEGAL STANDPOINT, I LIKE BEING -- AND SEE IF THIS IS IN FACT SOMETHING THAT WOULD PERHAPS PROTECT THE CITY IF IN FACT IT WAS INCLUDED.

I WOULD HOPE THAT WE COULD GET SOME TYPE OF RECOMMENDATION ONE

WAY OR THE OTHER. >> ABSOLUTELY.

IN FACT THIS DEVELOPMENT FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND HAS WORKED IN THREE OTHER MUNICIPALITIES. IT WOULD PROBABLY BE EASY TO FIND OUT FROM OTHER PUBLIC RECORDS WHAT THEY HAVE BEEN BOUND BY IN L.A. BEACH AND OTHER LOCALS.

I'LL BE HAPPY TO DO THAT. >> WE AUTHORIZE STAFF TO ENTER

NEGOTIATIONS. >> IS THERE A SECOND?

>> SECOND. >> IS TRAY DISCUSSION?

>> CALL THE ROLL. >> YES, MA'AM.

>> YES, MA'AM. >> YES, MA'AM.

>> YES. >> YES, MA'AM.

>> THE NEXT ITEM IS STAFF COMMENTS.

[6. STAFF COMMENTS]

>> NO COMMENTS AT THIS TIME. THANK YOU FOR APPROVING OUR OPERATING BUDGET. WE LOOK FORWARD TO FY21.

WE HAVE JUST AS MUCH EXCITEMENT AS WE DID GOING INTO FY20.

WE HAVE NOTHING GOING TO DETER US.

AS YOU SEE AFTER EVERY SPEAKER WE'LL HAVE MADAM SONYA COME UP TO THE PODIUM. WE'RE GOING TO BE AS CLEAN AND

SANITARY AS WE POSSIBLY CAN. >> THANK YOU MADAM SONYA VERY

[7. BOARD COMMENTS]

MUCH. >> BOARD COMMENTS.

>> DOES ANY MEMBER OF THE BOARD HAVE ANY COMMENTS IS THE.

>> I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING. >> DO I NOT.

>> SHALL WE ADJOURN? >> WE'RE ADJOURNED.

* This transcript was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.