Link

Social

Embed

Download

Download
Download Transcript

[00:00:07]

>>MAYOR HUDSON: I WOULD LIKE TO CALL THIS MEETING TO ORDER. .

>>MAYOR HUDSON: I WOULD LIKE TO CALL THIS MEETING TO ORDER. THIS IS MONDAY, JULY 6, 2020.

THIS IRREGULAR COMMISSION MEETING. PLEASE STAND FOR THE OPENING PRAYER BY PASTOR WAYNE

HEWLETT. >> MATTA MAYOR, MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE. THANK YOU FOR THE PRIVILEGE. LET US PRAY. FATHER, HAVING CALMLY THANK YOU FOR THE PRIVILEGE OF BEING ABLE TO GATHER TOGETHER IN THE SETTING IN ORDER TO MAKE DECISIONS FOR THE GREATER GOOD OF THE CITY OF FORT PIERCE.

NOW, LORD, WE INVITE YOUR PRESENCE INTO THIS PLACE. LET US COME TOGETHER AND REASON ONE WITH ANOTHER. LORD, WE ASK FOR A SPIRIT OF COOPERATION AND A SPIRIT OF REASONING TOGETHER. LORD, WE ASK THAT YOU WOULD BLESS AND GIVE WISDOM TO EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THE LEADERS THAT SIT IN THIS POSITION TODAY. LORD, GIVE THEM WISDOM BEYOND THE YEARS OF THE COLLECTIVE UNDERSTANDING. AND LORD, MAY DECISIONS BE MADE THAT THE CITY OF FORT PIERCE WILL BE A SHINING EXAMPLE TO THOSE THAT ARE HERE AND THOSE THAT ARE AROUND US.

WE THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT YOU HAVE DONE AND PLUS THIS TIME, IN JESUS NAME, WE PRAY. AMEN.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: AMEN. I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. AND TO THE REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL.

CALL THE ROLL, PLEASE. >> (ROLL CALL).

>> FOR THE RECORD, COMMISSIONER ALEXANDER IS JOINING US BY PHONE.

[5. APPROVAL OF MINUTES]

>>MAYOR HUDSON: THANK YOU. >> THE FIRST ITEM IS APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM THE JUNE 15, 2020 REGULAR MEETING.

>> MOVE FOR THE APPROVAL. >> SECOND.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: MOTION AND SECOND. CALL THE ROLL, PLEASE.

>> (ROLL CALL). >> NEXT WE HAVE A PROCLAMATION

[a. Treasure Coast Waterway Cleanup Week Proclamation being received by Robert Mac Keen & Justin Beard. ]

RECOGNIZING TREASURE COAST WATERWAY CLEANUP WEEK. IN THE MAYOR IS NOT GOING TO PRESENT THIS BUT THOSE THAT ARE HERE THAT ARE GOING TO ACCEPT THAT WE HAVE THE PROCLAMATION FOR YOU DOWN WILL GIVE YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO SAY A FEW WORDS.

WHEREAS, SATURDAY, JULY 25, 2020 THE MARINE INDUSTRIES ASSOCIATION OF THE TREASURE COAST IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE FLORIDA INLAND NAVIGATION DISTRICT WILL CONDUCT THE 13TH ANNUAL TREASURE COAST WATERWAY CLEANUP AND WHEREAS THIS WILL ATTRACT APPROXIMATELY 1000 VOLUNTEERS WHO WILL PARTICIPATE IN CLEANING UP THE WATERWAYS OF INDIAN RIVER, MARTIN AND ST.

LUCIE COUNTIES AND WHEREAS 27 DESIGNATED SITES WILL SERVE AS DISPOSAL SITES FOR THE ALL IN TEARS TO WORK OUT OF THE END WHEREAS NUMEROUS WATERFRONT HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATIONS HAVE BEEN RECRUITED TO CLEAN UP THEIR OWN WATERFRONTS AND WHEREAS IN 2019 IN 20 19/5.10 TONS OF TRASH IS COLLECTED FROM APPROXIMATELY 125 MILES MILES OF WATERWAYS WITH AN EXPECTATION OF A LARGER AMOUNT TO BE COLLECTED THIS YEAR WITH AN INCREASED VOLUNTEER EFFORT.

NOW, THEREFORE, I LINDA HUDSON MAYOR OF THE CITY FORT PIERCE PROCLAIMED JULY 19 THROUGHOF A LARGER AMOUNT TO BE COLLECTED THIS YEAR WITH AN INCREASED VOLUNTEER EFFORT.

NOW, THEREFORE, I LINDA HUDSON MAYOR OF THE CITY FORT PIERCE PROCLAIMED JULY 19-25, 2020 AS TREASURE COAST WATER CLEANUP WEEK IN THE CITY FORT PIERCE AND ENCOURAGE CITIZENS USE THIS OCCASION TO FOSTER APPRECIATION FOR OUR TREASURE COAST WATERWAYS AND ASSIST IN THE

CLEANUP EFFORTS. >>MAYOR HUDSON: CONGRATULATIONS. THANK YOU. WOULD YOU LIKE TO SAY A FEW WORDS ABOUT YOUR EFFORT?

>> YES, MA'AM. I WOULD. LADIES, GENTLEMEN, MAYOR HUDSON, AND ESTEEMED MEMBERS OF THE COMMISSION, IT IS MY HONOR TO REPRESENT THE MARINE ASSOCIATION OF THE TREASURE COAST AND FLORIDA INLAND NAVIGATION DISTRICT THIS EVENING.

THANK YOU FOR PROCLAIMING THIS WEEK OF JULY 19 AS TREASURE COAST WATERWAY CLEANUP WEEK.

WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL EVENT.

SINCE 2008, WE REMOVED 88 TONS OF TRASH FROM OUR WATERWAYS. OUR GROUP COVERS 125 MILES OF WATERWAY AND BEACHFRONT FROM HOMETOWN TO SEBASTIAN AS WELL AS A DIVE CLEANUP AT PECK LAKE REEF IN MOUNTAIN COUNTY. LAST YEAR THANKS TO MORE THAN A THOUSAND VOLUNTEERS ALONG THE TREASURE COAST, WE COLLECTED NEARLY 5000 TONS OR JUST MORE THAN 5000 TONS OF TRASH. TYPICALLY, WE OPEN 28 CLEANUP LOCATION SIX BEING IN FORT PIERCE. HOWEVER, THIS YEAR WE ARE OPERATING UNDER AN

[00:05:04]

ABUNDANCE OF CAUTION DUE TO COVID-19 WE ARE MOVING TO A VIRTUAL CLEANUP. SO AS WITH YEARS PAST WAS A ONE DAY CLEANUP THIS YEAR WE WILL DO THE WHOLE WEEK.

WE ARE ASKING FOLKS TO PARTICIPATE SOME TIME BETWEEN JULY 18 AND JULY 26. IT'S SIMPLE. WE ARE GOING TO DO IT VIRTUAL SO WHAT YOU DO IS YOU GO TO TC WATERWAY CLEANUP.COM, FROM THERE, YOU CHOOSE YOUR OWN CLEANUP LOCATION. IT CAN BE ANYWHERE IN ST. LUCIE COUNTY.

IT CAN BE A BEACH, IT CAN BE AN ISLAND, IT CAN BE ANYWHERE NEAR THE WATER.

IN RECORD YOUR DATA USING THE ONLINE REGISTRATION SOFTWARE.

AS USUAL, GRABBER, BRIDGES AND SUPPLIES WILL BE AVAILABLE AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS ALONG THE TREASURE COAST. AGAIN, THESE LOCATIONS CAN BE FOUND AT TC WATERWAY CLEANUP.COM.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR SUPPORTING THIS CAUSE AND RECOGNIZING THE IMPORTANCE OF COMING TOGETHER AS WE WORK TO PRESERVE OUR BEAUTIFUL WATERWAYS FOR GENERATIONS TO COME. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

>> TAKEN IN FOR THE RECORD. >> MY NAME IS JUSTIN BEARD WITH

DIRECTOR FORT PIERCE. >>MAYOR HUDSON: THANK YOU FOR YOUR EFFORTS. (APPLAUSE).

[a. Email from Diane Shaw thanking the City of Fort Pierce for providing the opportunity for free antibody tests for COVID-19 at Ilous Ellis Park.]

>> THE FOLLOWING LETTERS WILL BE KEPT ON FILE WITH THE CITY CLERK'S OFFICE. WE RECEIVED AN EMAIL FROM DIANE SHAW THANKING CITY FORT PIERCE FOR PROVIDING THE OPPORTUNITY FOR FREE COVID ANTIBODY TESTING. AND THEN WE RECEIVED A LETTER FROM KATHY THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF GRACE

[b. Letter from Cathie Mouring, Executive Director, GraceWay Village thanking the City of Fort Pierce for the generous gift and ongoing support through a supportive partnership.]

[8. COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC ON AGENDA ITEMS NOT REQUIRING PUBLIC HEARINGS Any person who wishes to comment on an agenda item which is not under Public Hearings on the Agenda may be heard at this time and must sign up to speak in advance. Please limit your comments to three (3) minutes or less, as directed by the Mayor, as this section of the Agenda is limited to thirty minutes. The City Commission will not be able to take any official actions under Comments from the Public. Speakers will address the Mayor, Commissioners, and the Public with respect. Inappropriate language will not be tolerated.]

A VILLAGE THANKING THE CITY OF FORT PIERCE FOR THE GIFT IN SUPPORT THROUGH SUPPORTIVE PARTNERSHIPS. NEXT WE HAVE COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC ON AGENDA ITEMS NOT REQUIRING PUBLIC HEARINGS.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: OKAY. WE HAVE THREE PEOPLE SIGNED UP IN ONE VIRTUAL THAT MS. COX WILL READ.

YOU HAVE THREE MINUTES TO BE -- WILL BE GIVEN A WARNING SIGNAL OF THREE SECONDS BEGINNING TO WIND UP YOUR REMARKS AT THE WARNING SIGNAL AND YOU STATE YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS FOR THE RECORD AND ARE WE SIGNING IN TONIGHT, MS. COX?

>> YES, MA'AM. >>MAYOR HUDSON: SIGNING IN YOUR TIME WILL NOT START UNTIL YOU START TALKING.

OCTAVIUS ROBINSON. MR. ROBINSON, IS ONE AT A TIME. IS THAT MS. COPELAND WITH YOU? I WILL CALL YOUR NAME WHEN IT'S YOUR TURN. THAT'S FINE. YOU CAN GO FIRST AND THEN SHE CAN GO. YOU GET THREE MINUTES EACH.

>> OKAY. >>MAYOR HUDSON: OKAY?

>> IF YOU COULD SIGNING, PLEASE?

>> GOOD EVENING MATTER MAYOR AND COMMISSIONERS. I WILL BE ADDRESSING ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

FROM 11 A TO 11 E. >>MAYOR HUDSON: STATE YOUR NAME

AND ADDRESS. >> OCTAVIUS ROBINSON 4804 SAN DIEGO AVENUE FORT PIERCE FLORIDA.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: THANK YOU, SIR. >> WE ARE REQUESTING A LIEN WAIVER OR REDUCTION ON OUR PROPERTY LOCATED AT 301 N. 13TH STREET. IN CONJUNCTION, WE COMBINED ALL OF THE FEES TOGETHER TO GIVE ONE BIG NUMBER BECAUSE WE DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE GOING TO LIST THEM SEPARATELY EVEN THOUGH WE FELL FOR THEM SEPARATELY. WE THOUGHT THEY WERE ALL GOING TO BE TOGETHER. I HAVE A COPY OF THE PAPER IF YOU WOULD LIKE IT THAT LISTS EVERYTHING THAT WE -- I'M GOING TO SAY RIGHT NOW.

THE TOTAL FEES ARE $63,592.17. THAT ADDRESSES ITEMS 11 A THROUGH 11 E. AND SO THE CITY CHARGES ARE AND SO THE CITY CHARGES ARE $13,453.32. OUR REQUEST IS THAT ADMINISTRATIVE FEES, INTEREST AND PENALTIES BE WAIVED IN THE AMOUNT OF $50,138.85.

IN THE REMAINING BALANCE OF THE 13,000AND SO THE CITY CHARGES ARE $13,453.32. OUR REQUEST IS THAT ADMINISTRATIVE FEES, INTEREST AND PENALTIES BE WAIVED IN THE AMOUNT OF $50,138.85. IN THE REMAINING BALANCE OF THE 13,453 WHICH ARE DIRECT CITY FEES THAT WE CAN PAID OVERTIME.

WE DO HAVE AN ALTERNATIVE YOU GUYS -- IF THE BOARD DECIDES NOT TO HEAR THAT ONE. WE WILL PAY THE ADMINISTRATIVE FEES AND THEN AS FOR TIMER GRANT TO HELP US ASSIST WITH THE REMAINING

BALANCE. >>MAYOR HUDSON: THANK YOU SIR.

ARE YOU DONE? AESTHETIC? AND THEN MISS COPELAND.

THIS IS BARBARA COPELAND. >> I THINK THEY NEED EACH

OTHER, MAYOR, TAGTEAM. >> GOOD EVENING MATTER MAYOR

[00:10:04]

AND. >> GOOD EVENING.

>> AND GOOD EVENING TO. >>MAYOR HUDSON: IF YOU WOULD SIGN IN. I DON'T KNOW IF MR. ROBINSON SIGNED IN? OKAY. THANK YOU, SIR.

>> WE WORK TOGETHER AND I WAS SUPPOSED TO DO MY PRESENTATION.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: YOU DO YOUR PRESENTATION. WE WANT TO HEAR YOU. (LAUGHING).

>> YOU WANT TO SAY IT AGAIN? (LAUGHING).

>> WE DO HAVE A POWERPOINT THAT WE WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH YOU TONIGHT, IF YOU WOULD ALLOW US

TO DO THAT? >>MAYOR HUDSON: THAT WILL NOT BE POSSIBLE. YOU NEED TO MAKE THAT ARRANGEMENT HAD TIME.

>> WE ARE ASKING THAT THESE FEES BE WAIVED BECAUSE WE HAVE A VISION AND WE ALSO HAVE A TRACK RECORD, THE THINGS THAT WE ENVISION TO DO IN OUR CITY FOR OUR CITY IS ALWAYS DONE.

AND WE ARE LOOKING TO BUILD, TO DO A MULTICULTURAL COMMUNITY CENTER IN OUR AREA, WHICH, IN THAT AREA, THERE IS -- THERE IS NO SERVICE TO EVERY -- ETHNICITY OF PEOPLE. AND SO IT IS OUR VISION TO BRING IT IN OUR COMMUNITY IN THE HEART OF MY CITY TO RULE OUT THE NEGATIVE AND BRING IN THE POSITIVE. AND WE REALLY NEED THE HELP OF OUR CITY. WE NEED OUR CITY TO ASSIST US WITH THIS PROJECT.

>> IF YOU CAN STATE YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS FOR THE RECORD IS BARBARA COPELAND 3404 AVENUE AS

IN FORT PIERCE FLORIDA. >>MAYOR HUDSON: DID YOU SIGNING? DID YOU SIGNING FOR HER, TOO?

>> I DID. >> I THINK WE HAVE ONE MINUTE

LEFT. >> JUST MENTIONED, WE HAVE PROPERTY IN 105 N. 15TH STREET WHICH IS OUR FIRST BUILDING THAT WE ACQUIRED IN 1998 AND THAT BUILDING WAS MAINTAINED AND BROUGHT UP AND MAKES THIS CORNER LOOK BEAUTIFUL. NOW WE BUILT THIS NEW FACILITY AT THE ADDRESS OF 14 0670 BE A BRAND-NEW CHURCH ADJACENT FROM THIS PROPERTY AND AS WELL, OUR LATEST PROJECT WAS ON 504 N. 24TH STREET WHERE WE REMODELED THE CHURCH AND I WAS OPENING AND FUNCTIONING IN SERVING OUR COMMUNITY. WHEN SHE MENTIONS OUR TRACK RECORD WE HAVE A TRACK RECORD OF EXCELLENCE IN BEAUTIFYING OUR CITY.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

LUKE RUSKIN GOT? LUKE? I APOLOGIZE IF I BUTCHERED THAT NAME.

>> PRETTY CLOSE. LUCA ROSS CONNECTS ON BE HALF OF PROPERTY MAYOR THE PROPERTY OWNER THAT IS ON THE AGENDA 11 F. AND COMMISSIONERS, WE HAD REACHED AGREEMENT WITH THE SPECIAL MAGISTRATE FOR THE FINE AMOUNT LISTED THERE, $1850. WE JUST ASKED THAT THE COMMISSION APPROVED THE SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT AND WE ARE PREPARED TO PAY THAT TODAY, AS A MATTER

FACT. >>MAYOR HUDSON: DID YOU

SIGNING? >> I DID.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: DID YOU STATE YOUR NAME FOR THE RECORD?

>> LUKE ROSS CONNECTS IN YOUR ADDRESS.

>> STEWART. >>MAYOR HUDSON: THANK YOU, SIR.

>> THANK YOU. >>MAYOR HUDSON: MS. COX, YOU WANT TO READ THE MESSAGE FROM MR. TARR AT 111 ORANGE AVENUE? ASK THANK YOU, MA'AM.

FOR THE RECORD, STEVE TARR, 111 ORANGE AVENUE. THIS IS REGARDING COMMISSIONER ALEXANDERS AGENDA ITEM 13 A. W THANK YOU FOR YOUR PUBLIC SERVICE. MY PAST I HAVE SET UP AS A COMMISSIONER I KNOW HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO TRY TO PLEASE EVERYONE. ACTUALLY, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE, WHICH LEADS ME TO AGENDA ITEM 13 A WHICH I HOPE IS A RECOMMENDATION TO REQUIRE MASKS TO BE WORN BY EVERYONE IN FORT PIERCE. SINCE MY PAST INCLUDES A MEDICAL CAREER CANNOT BE OVERSTATED THAT YOU PROMISED TO PROTECT THE CITIZENS MANDATES SUCH ACCIDENTS. IF YOU DO NOT THINK THAT REQUIRING -- IF YOU DO THINK THAT REQUIRING A MASK VIOLATES SOMEONE'S CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS, THEY MAY AS WELL DISCOURAGE OR CODE OF ORDINANCES. IN FACT, WOULD VIOLATE MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS IF YOU DIDN'T PROTECT ME FROM THIS VIRUS BY REQUIRING MASKS.

WE CAN ALL SEE ON TV GETTING REELECTED TRUMPS COMMON SENSE, HOWEVER, DOING THE RIGHT THING TRUMPS EVERYTHING ELSE. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR

EFFORTS. >>MAYOR HUDSON: THANK YOU.

[9. ADDITIONS OR DELETIONS TO AGENDA AND APPROVAL OF AGENDA]

THAT CONCLUDES PUBLIC COMMENT. >> NEXT WE HAVE ADDITIONS OR DELETIONS TO THE AGENDA AND APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: IS THERE ANYTHING THAT ANY COMMISSIONER WOULD LIKE TO ADD OR DELETE OR CHANGE? IF NOT, I WILL ENTERTAIN A MOTION.

>> I MAKE A MOTION. >>MAYOR HUDSON: A MOTION

[00:15:02]

SECOND. CALL THE ROLL, PLEASE?

>> (ROLL CALL). >> THE NEXT ITEM IS THE CONSENT

[11. CONSENT AGENDA]

AGENDA. >>MAYOR HUDSON: IS THERE ANY ITEM THAT ANY COMMISSIONER WOULD LIKE TO PULL? IF NOT, I WILL ENTERTAIN A MOTION TO

APPROVE. >> MAYOR --

>> MOVED TO APPROVE. >> THERE'S -- YOU WANT TO PULL

SOMETHING. >> I DO. WELL, JUST FOR DISCUSSION, WE HAD SPEAKERS ON A THROUGH E. I WOULD LIKE SOME CLARIFICATION ON THAT BEFORE WE GO FORWARD. I WOULD LIKE TO PULL THAT.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: RIGHT. COMMISSIONER ALEXANDER, DO YOU WANT TO MAKE A MOTION FOR THE REMAINING PART OF THE CONSENT AGENDA?

>> SO BE IT. >> CALL THE ROLL PLEASE.

>> COMMISSIONER ALEXANDER (ROLL CALL).

[a. Approval of request to reduce lot clearing fees in the amount of $3,510.66 against 302 N 14th St. (301 N 13th St.), Fort Pierce, FL, Parcel ID Number 2409-507-0016-000-2 owned by Liberty Truth & Deliverance Tabernacle of God, Inc., 105 N 15th St., Fort Pierce, FL 34950. In accordance with previously established policy, staff recommends the approval to waive the costs for interest, penalties, and fees leaving a balance due of $718.85 payable in 60 days. However, applicant is requesting a waiver of all charges including the hard costs totaling $3,510.66, which requires a direct vote by the Commission.]

[b. Approval of request to reduce lot clearing fees in the amount of $1,968.24 against 302 N 14th St. (301 N 13th St.), Fort Pierce, FL, Parcel ID Number 2409-507-0016-000-2 owned by Liberty Truth & Deliverance Tabernacle of God, Inc., 105 N 15th St., Fort Pierce, FL 34950. In accordance with previously established policy, staff recommends the approval to waive the costs for interest, penalties, and fees leaving a balance due of $745.65 payable in 6 months. However, applicant is requesting a waiver of all charges including the lot clearing costs totaling $1,968.24, which requires a direct vote by the Commission.]

[c. Approval of request to reduce lot clearing fees in the amount of $13,060.24 against 301 N 13th St., Fort Pierce, FL, Parcel ID Number 2409-507-0016-000-2 owned by Liberty Truth & Deliverance Tabernacle of God, Inc., 105 N 15th St., Fort Pierce, FL 34950. In accordance with previously established policy, staff recommends the approval to waive the costs for interest, penalties, and fees leaving a balance due of $2,900.98 payable in 12 months. However, applicant is requesting a waiver of all charges including the lot clearing costs totaling $13,060.24, which requires a direct vote by the Commission.]

[d. Approval of request to reduce demolition fees in the amount of $17,087.28 against 302 N 14th St. (301 N 13th St.), Fort Pierce, FL, Parcel ID Number 2409-507-0016-000-2 owned by Liberty Truth & Deliverance Tabernacle of God, Inc., 105 N 15th St., Fort Pierce, FL 34950. In accordance with previously established policy, staff recommends the approval to waive the costs for interest, penalties, and fees leaving a balance due of $7,094.80 payable in 24 months. However, applicant is requesting a waiver of all charges including the hard costs totaling $17,087.28, which requires a direct vote by the Commission.]

[e. Approval of request to reduce demolition fees in the amount of $27,964.75 against 301 N 13th St., Fort Pierce, FL, Parcel ID Number 2409-507-0016-000-2 owned by Liberty Truth & Deliverance Tabernacle of God, Inc., 105 N 15th St., Fort Pierce, FL 34950. In accordance with previously established policy, staff recommends the approval to waive the costs for interest, penalties, and fees leaving a balance due of $12,958.95 payable in 36 months. However, applicant is requesting a waiver of all charges including the hard costs totaling $27,964.75, which requires a direct vote by the Commission.]

>> ITEMS 11 A THROUGH E. RATHER THAN READ ALL OF THESE I WILL SAY THAT IT IS THE REQUEST TO REDUCE LIENS FOR PARCELS -- A SINGLE PARCEL LOCATED AT 302 N. 14TH STREET, ALSO KNOWN AS 301 N. 13TH STREET AND -- IN FORT PIERCE FLORIDA, WHICH IS OWNED BY LIBERTY TRUTH AND DELIVERANCE TABERNACLE OF GOD. THESE ITEMS ALL ARE THE SAME PROPERTY. THEY JUST HAD

DIFFERENT NAMES ON THEM. >>MAYOR HUDSON: COMMISSIONER

PERONA? >> I HEARD AMOUNTS THROWN OUT OF OVER $60,000 BUT I'M READING DIFFERENTLY. AND I FIGURED IT'S TIME FOR PEGGY TO COME UP AND TELL US EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED HERE. OBVIOUSLY, THERE HAS BEEN A REDUCTION IN THE FEES AND NORMALLY, BY THE TIME THEY GET TO US, THERE HAS BEEN A LOT OF COMMUNICATION BETWEEN THE OWNER AND CODE ENFORCEMENT. AND PRETTY MUCH A WORKOUT DEAL. SO IT IS RARE THAT WE GET FOLKS OUT IN FRONT OF US STATING THE FACT THAT THEY'RE LOOKING FOR ADDITIONAL ASSISTANCE. AND SOMETIMES WE CANNOT DO THAT. SO PEGGY, I'M GOING TO LET YOU TELL US ABOUT

IT. >> GOOD EVENING. THIS IS A SITUATION WHERE THE CHURCH WAS ABLE TO OBTAIN ADJOINING PROPERTIES, NOT REALIZING THAT THERE WERE DEMOLITION AND LIENS ON THE PROPERTY FROM THE PAST OWNER. I HAVE MET WITH THE OWNER WE HAVE SET DOWN AND DISCUSSED THIS. HIS NUMBERS WERE OFF JUST A LITTLE BIT.

THERE IS ACTUALLY MORE MONEY BECAUSE OF THE DEMOLITION LIEN WHICH ROLLS OVER INTO PAGE 2.

THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF ALL OF THE LIENS TOGETHER CAME TO A LITTLE OVER $80,000. THE STAFF IS RECOMMENDING WAVING 63 SIX, ROUGHLY, WHICH IS YOUR INTEREST, PENALTIES AND ADMINISTRATION CHARGES WHICH LEAVES 24 FOUR.

BECAUSE THERE ARE FIVE, WHAT WE WORKOUT IS A PAYMENT OF OVER THREE YEARS FOR THIS TO HAPPEN.

SO WE PHASED IT IN. ON THE TWO SMALL LOT CLEARINGS, WHICH ARE EACH 700 AND SOME DOLLARS, ONE BEING PAYABLE IN 60 DAYS ONE BEING PAYABLE IN SIX MONTHS. AND THEN THE LARGER FINES TO ALLOW HER MORE TIME TO GET THE MONEY TOGETHER.

SO WITH THE BIGGEST ONE BEING THE DEMOLITION, WHICH IS 12,000 -- IS $13,000. WE ARE RECOMMENDING THREE YEARS TO PAY THAT ONE. SO WE TRY TO SPACE IT OUT.

>> IS A BIG CHUNK. >>MAYOR HUDSON: THEY ARE IN

COMPLIANCE NOW? >> YES. THESE ARE HARD COSTS.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: HARD COSTS FROM PREVIOUSLY? YEAH.

>> MATTER MAYOR -- COMMISSIONER SESSIONS AND THEN COMMISSIONER ALEXANDER.

>> SO THE BALANCE IS WHAT NOW? AFTER WHICH WILL RECOMMENDING.

>> THE HARD COSTS COME TO $24,419.23.

>> OKAY. HERE IS WHERE MY THOUGHT PROCESSES WITH ALL OF THIS. THIS PARTICULAR CHURCH HAS DONE GREAT THINGS IN TERMS OF IMPROVING THE NEIGHBORHOOD. AS A MATTER FACT, THEY TOOK A BUILDING THAT WAS PROBABLY IN HIS JUDGMENT WHILE I WON'T SAY IT'S WORSE CONDITION -- BUT IT WAS NOT IN THE BEST CONDITION. AND THEY MADE IMPROVEMENTS TO THE BUILDING. AND IN ADDITION TO THAT, THEY BUILT A CHURCH IN THAT AREA THAT JUST EXCEEDS BEYOND YOUR IMAGINATION IN TERMS OF WHAT IS CUSTOMARY AND WHAT IS GOING ON OVER THERE IN TERMS OF STRUCTURES AND NEW

[00:20:02]

STRUCTURES. SO THEY HAVE A TRACK RECORD.

WHAT I HEARD THE YOUNG MAN PROPOSE EARLIER, HER SON, WAS THAT THEY WERE GOING TO PUT A CULTURAL CENTER UP. AND THAT IS SOMETHING THAT WE DO NOT HAVE PERIOD IN OUR COMMUNITY.

NOT TO MENTION, IN THAT AREA. SO WITH THAT BEING SAID, I WOULD HOPE THAT THE BALANCE WOULD BE MORE OF A PARTNERSHIP CONTRIBUTION FROM THE CITY'S STANDPOINT, YOUR HOW WE OFTEN PARTNERSHIP UP WITH PRIVATE ENTITIES? ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY BRING SOMETHING TO THE TABLE THAT WILL ENHANCE THE AREA IN THE COMMUNITY.

I WAS HOPING THAT WE COULD CONTRIBUTE THAT -- WHICH IS OUT OF THE NORM. I KNOW IT'S NOTHING THAT WE NORMALLY DO. BUT AGAIN, WITH WHAT THEY ARE PROPOSING, AND HOW THAT WILL ENHANCE THE AREA AND EDUCATE A LOT OF OUR INDIVIDUALS IN THAT AREA, I THINK IT IS A SMALL PRICE TO PAY $20,000 BECAUSE WHEN THOSE PEOPLE SAY THEY'RE GOING TO DO SOMETHING, THEY DO IT. AND WHEN YOU WALK IN THAT CHURCH OVER THERE, IT IS JUST IMMACULATE. WITH THE CONGREGATION WAS BUILT OVERNIGHT. SO THIS YOUNG LADY AND YOUNG MAN CAME IN WITH THE CONGREGATION. WHAT I LOVE ABOUT THE CONGREGATION IS THAT IT IS FULL OF USE. YOU PROBABLY WON'T FIND ANYBODY MUCH OLDER THAN ME OTHER THAN THE PASTORS THEMSELVES. AND THAT, IN AND OF ITSELF, I THINK IS GREAT IN LIGHT OF WHAT THEY'RE DOING, THE CONGREGATION THAT THEY HAVE IN THEIR TRACK RECORD AND WHAT THEY WANT TO DO WITH AN EMPTY LOT THAT HAS A ROTTEN OAK TREE LAYING DOWN -- LAST TIME I LOOKED -- WHICH IS DOING NOTHING OTHER THAN -- I THINK NOW THEY ARE TAKING CARE OF IT, WOULD BE A SMALL CONTRIBUTION IF THEY BUILT THE BUILDING THAT ARE TALKING ABOUT. I MAY NOT LIVE TO SEE IT, BUT I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO GET THEM DOWN IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: COMMISSIONER ALEXANDER?

>> YES. (INDISCERNIBLE) I JUST KNOW THAT -- (INDISCERNIBLE) (AUDIO LOST).

>>MAYOR HUDSON: COMMISSIONER, WE CANNOT HEAR YOU. ARE YOU TALKING RIGHT INTO YOUR PHONE

OR? >> I HAVE TO TALK INTO THE

PHONE. CAN YOU HEAR ME. >>MAYOR HUDSON: NOW I CAN HEAR

YOU. YES, SIR. >> OKAY. THAT PROPERTY IS FROM 13TH STREET TO 15TH STREET. THAT CHURCH HAS TAKEN IT UPON THEMSELVES TO DO SOMETHING THAT THE CITY HASN'T DONE. WE TALK ABOUT YARD CUTTING SAND STUFF THAT WE DID IN THE PAST, THAT CHURCH HAS SUPERSEDED WHATEVER WE CONSIDER DOING. AND I JUST WANT TO PICTURE IN YOUR MIND 13TH STREET TO 15TH STREET ON AVENUE BEACH, THAT CHURCH HAS DONE A MARVELOUS JOB. I CAN'T THINK OF THE PROPHET -- PROPERTY THAT WE DID BUT THE CITY WAS A HOUSING, SUNSHINE WAS IT? NO -- SUNSHINE PONDS I THINK THAT I CAN THINK OF A NAME BUT RIGHT THERE, ON FOURTH STREET, AND 13TH STREET. THOSE HOUSES THAT WE BUILT THEIR WHEN I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING

ABOUT. >> IT'S RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM THERE. AND I'M TELLING YOU, THAT'S GOING TO MAKE IT ALMOST 13TH STREET IN GATEWAY TO THE NORTHERN PART OF THE CITY OF FORT PIERCE. I JUST WANT THEM TO KNOW THAT FOR THEM TO CONTINUE DOING THE EFFORTS THAT THEY ARE DOING AND AM SORRY I'M NOT THERE TO THANK THEM PERSONALLY. BECAUSE I'VE BEEN KNOWING THEM FOR A LONG TIME AND I KNOW THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING BUT GREAT THINGS FOR THE CITY OF FORT PIERCE. THANK YOU.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: COMMISSIONER PERRONE OF.

>> AND THANK YOU FOR LOOKING AT THAT THE REDUCTION OF 63,000 SEEMS TO BE HIGHER THAN THE NORM. AND I KNOW THAT A LOT OF THE ISSUES KNOWING THAT THIS CHURCH WAS GOING TO DO GREAT THINGS FOR THAT AREA AND HELP AT ALL. LET'S TALK ABOUT WHAT THE 20 -- THE $25,000 DIFFERENCES GIVE OR TAKE. THOSE ARE HARD COSTS, YOU CALL THEM. AND REAL EXPENSES AS FAR AS DEMOLITION GOES, THAT'S COVERED IN THERE. WHAT ELSE IS COVERED IN THERE?

[00:25:01]

>> THERE WERE TWO DEMOLITIONS, COMMISSIONER. THERE WAS A DEMOLITION -- I'M GOING TO GO WITH JUST THE HARD COSTS. IT'S ITEM D AND ITEM E. IT WAS A HARD COST FOR JUST OVER $7000 FOR ONE AND A HARD COST OF ESSENTIALLY, $13,000. SO 20,000 IS JUST IN THOSE TWO DEMOLITIONS. AND THEN THERE WERE THREE LOT CLEARINGS. TWO SMALL AT $700 AND CHANGE EACH AND THEN A $2900.01, WHICH WOULD PROBABLY HAVE BEEN A TREE CUTTING, CLEARING, DEBRIS REMOVAL TYPE OF EVENT. SO, THREE --

>> SO WHAT WE DO IS YOU CAN'T ALL THE FINES AND FEES, THE INTEREST IN EVERYTHING OUT OF THIS AND SO REALLY THIS IS -- THAT MONEY THAT WE COLLECT WAS BACKING AND WE USE THAT AGAIN FOR CLEANING UP OUR COMMUNITY IN DIFFERENT WAYS, RIGHT?

>> IT'S RETURNED TO THE GENERAL FUND.

>> OKAY. I JUST HAVE A HARD TIME -- I MEAN, YOU GET INTO HARD COSTS, WE START MAKING EXCEPTIONS TO THAT, THERE MIGHT BE OTHER WAYS THAT WE CAN HELP THIS CHURCH, BUT RIGHT NOW, WITH THE ISSUE OF THESE LIENS, I JUST HATE MAKING EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE WHEN IT COMES TO THE HARD COSTS. THAT'S MY THOUGHT.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: COMMISSIONER JOHNSON?

>> GOOD INFORMATION. I AGREE WITH THE HARD COSTS. WE HAVEN'T SET ANY PRECEDENT THAT I'M AWARE OF AT LEAST IN THE LAST FEW YEARS THAT WE'VE ELIMINATED THOSE HARD COSTS BUT HERE'S WHAT I OFFER AND I APPRECIATE YOU COMING FORWARD IN MAKING THE REQUEST. THIS IS IN OUR CRA DISTRICT WE HAVE OPTIONS RIGHT NOW IN OUR CRA WITH DEVELOPMENT COST REDUCTIONS AND OPPORTUNITIES FOR US TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT DURING THE DEVELOPING PHASE. MAYBE IT'S NOT UPFRONT IN THIS PHASE BUT WHEN DEVELOPMENT COMES FORWARD IN THE APPLICATION COMES FORWARD, WE HAVE ANOTHER CHANCE TO PARTNER THIS TEAM AND THIS CHURCH AND TRY TO DO SOMETHING FOR OUR COMMUNITY WITHIN THE CRA.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: UH-UH (AFFIRMATIVE). WE'RE GOING TO BUILD A MULTICULTURAL CENTER.

>> THAT BELIEVE WE CAME UP WITH SOME REDUCTION STRATEGIES WE HAVE THAT IN PLACE. I THINK THAT LASTS THROUGH NOVEMBER OF THIS YEAR OR DECEMBER, SOMETHING LIKE THAT. I FORGET THE TIMEFRAME EXACTLY. BUT I DON'T THINK IT'S HERE THAT I'M READY TO SUPPORT THE TOTAL ELIMINATION, BUT I THINK WE HAVE SOME OPPORTUNITY.

>> MR. ALEXANDER THAT SAID CHIHUAHUA OR GERMAN SHEPHERD.

>> YEAH. >> I WILL COME IN YOUR YARD.

>> ALL RIGHT. I WILL MUTE MYSELF.

>> NORMALLY, COMMISSIONER JOHNSON, I WOULD AGREE WITH YOU. BUT RIGHT NOW, DURING THESE TIMES, THE FRONT AND COSTS, WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO GET NEW CONSTRUCTION GOING ON, ESPECIALLY RIGHT NOW, THE FUNDS ARE VERY LIMITED. AND I THINK THAT IS FIRST THESE DISTANCES CONCERN, IT WILL PROBABLY BE MORE APPRECIATED ON THE FRONT END AS OPPOSED TO LATER ON AND GIVING THEM THE BENEFIT OF WHAT YOU ARE SPEAKING OF. OTHERWISE, I WOULD GO ALONG WITH THAT. BUT AGAIN, I JUST THINK THAT IT IS IMPORTANT, LOOKING AT THEIR TRACK RECORD AND WHAT THEY ARE PROPOSING, COMMISSIONER PERRONE,, -- YOU ARE RIGHT. THIS IS PRESIDENT.

I DON'T KNOW TOO MANY CULTURAL CENTERS, I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, IN THE CITY OF FORT PIERCE AND CERTAINLY NOT ONE IN THE NORTHWEST SECTION OF FORT PIERCE. AND IF IT'S GOING TO TAKE A 5013C CHURCH TO WHICH YOU AND I SHOULD BE DOING, WE DON'T MAKE AN EXCEPTION IN PARTNERSHIP AND SHAME ON US. BUT AGAIN, I JUST BELIEVE THAT IT WOULD BE BETTER FOR THEM IF WE DID IT ON THE FRONT AND BECAUSE CHURCHES, AS YOU KNOW -- I DON'T KNOW IF YOU KNOW OR NOT, BUT MOST CHURCHES, WE OPERATE FROM MONTH TO MONTH. AND EVERY BIT COUNTS. AND AGAIN, THOSE PEOPLE HAVE DONE GREAT THINGS OUT THERE AND I AM CERTAIN THAT IT WOULD BE MORE APPRECIATED IN TERMS OF A COST SAVINGS TO THEM ON A FRONT-END AS OPPOSED TO LATER ON. SO I WOULD HOPE THAT YOU ALL WOULD TAKE THAT INTO CONSIDERATION. THE SELECTED TO SAY.

[00:30:01]

>> ONE MORE IF I COULD. I AGREE. FRONT-END IS ABSOLUTELY THE KEY TO THAT. SO RIGHT NOW WE HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY, IF YOU SUBMIT AN APPLICATION GET SOME DESIGN WORK DONE, THAT THERE IS A REDUCED COST. BUT WHAT IF WE WERE TO TALK ABOUT THE FEES OVER A THREE-YEAR SPAN WHICH ELIMINATES THAT HIGHER FRONT-END AND JUST DOING A FORMULATED PLAN, I THINK IT WAS ONLY ONE THAT TALKED ABOUT 36 MONTHS. BUT IF WE WERE TO INCLUDE ALL OF THEM, THEN.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: SPREAD IT ALL OUT.

>> IF WE ELIMINATE THE FRONT END COST, WE THEN SPREAD IT OVER THE TIME PERIOD AND THEN ALLOW THAT -- THE OPPORTUNITY FOR THE DEVELOPMENT REDUCTION IN THE PARTNERSHIP THERE, TOO.

THAT'S JUST ANOTHER IDEA. >> I, TOO, I'VE BEEN IN THIS CHURCH, THE NEW ONE. I ACTUALLY WENT WHEN THEY FIRST -- ONE OF THEIR FIRST SERVICES.

AND I THINK THAT THIS CHURCH IS VERY DEDICATED TO THE CITY OF FORT PIERCE. I WANT TO HELP THEM AS MUCH AS WE CAN. BUT WE ALWAYS STICK TO HARD COSTS. WE FORGIVE THESE SOFT COSTS BUT WE ALWAYS STICK TO HARD COSTS. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO -- AND ESPECIALLY RIGHT NOW. CHURCHES ARE NOT GETTING A LOT OF THEIR TITHING BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT MEETING RIGHT NOW. SO TIMES ARE HARD RIGHT NOW. I WOULD BE VERY SUPPORTIVE OF A PLONGER-RANGE TIME TO WORK THIS OUT. AND I THINK THIS IS VERY INSTRUCTIVE FOR ALL OF US TO KNOW THAT WHEN YOU ARE BUYING A PIECE OF PROPERTY, IF THERE'S SOMETHING ON IT -- YOU NEED TO KNOW THAT THAT DOES COME BACK TO YOU EVENTUALLY. SO -- BUT I WOULD LIKE TO -- I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO BEND OVER BACKWARDS TO HELP THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE DEDICATED TO THIS COMMUNITY AND THEY DO HAVE A TRACK RECORD.

>> I LIKE WHAT YOU SAID, MAYOR. BEND OVER BACKWARDS AND BEND OVER BACKWARDS TO HELP THEM I TAKE IT TO MEAN THAT YOU WOULD BE WILLING TO DO SOMETHING BEYOND WHAT WE NORMALLY DO.

AND WITH THAT BEING SAID, -- I UNDERSTAND YOU'RE ALL SPEAKING OF PAYMENTS THROUGH A PERIOD OF MONTHS, BUT I THINK THAT WAS MORE OF A PROPOSAL FROM THEIR PERSPECTIVE AND THAT'S HOW SERIOUS THEY ARE ABOUT THAT. THAT'S NOT ANYTHING I BELIEVE THE STAFF CREATED BUT THAT WAS AN OPTION THAT INDICATES THEIR SERIOUSNESS ABOUT THE MATTER. SO AGAIN, I'M NOT GOING TO PROLONG THE TIME BUT I WANT TO SAY AGAIN, THAT I WOULD THINK THAT WE WOULD AS A COMMISSION, BE WILLING TO PARTNERSHIP UP WITH THEM IN LIGHT OF WHAT THEY ARE PROPOSING IN THE TYPE OF STRUCTURE THEY ARE PROPOSING IN THE 5013C AND WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO DO. I KNOW THEY WILL DO IT BECAUSE THEY HAVE DONE WHAT THEY SAID THEY'RE GOING TO DO IN THE PAST. AND I JUST CAN'T WAIT TO SEE SOMETHING LIKE I SEE IN CHICAGO AND ATLANTA WHEN I GO TO THOSE CITIES AND I SEE CULTURE -- AFRICAN-AMERICAN CULTURAL CENTERS. IT GIVES PEOPLE PRIDE IN WHO THEY ARE AND WHAT THEY ARE. AND NOT ONLY A BUILDING OF THATMAGNITUDE, SIMILAR TO WHAT THEY HAVE A CHARGE WOULD BE A BLESSING FOR EVERYBODY. SO WILL CLOSE ON THAT NOTE.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: COMMISSIONER PERRONE.

>> RATHER THAN MAKE INDIVIDUAL MOTIONS FROM LETTER A TO E IS THERE A WAY WE CAN CONSOLIDATE THAT WITH SOME OF THE DISCUSSION THAT WENT ON THIS EVENING? MY MOTION WOULD BE TO APPROVE LETTER A THROUGH E WITH THE EXCEPTION OF A PAYMENT PLAN FOR THE TOTAL AMOUNT THAT WOULD -- THAT WOULD BE OVER A 36 MONTH PERIOD.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: IS THERE A SECOND?

>> SECOND WITH A QUESTION. THAT IS THE FEE REDUCTION NUMBER THAT YOU'RE REFERRING

TO, NOT THE OVERALL FEE? >> RIGHT. THE REDUCTION NUMBER THAT -- I'VE APPROVED IT AS IT IS WRITTEN WITH THE -- THE ONLY AMENDMENT IS THE PAYMENT PLAN FOR THE TOTAL AMOUNT OVER A 36 PERIOD.

>> SO TO CLARIFY THE MOTION THAT HAS BEEN SECONDED I UNDERSTAND IT WOULD BE TO ADDRESS ITEMS 12 A THROUGH 12 E.

>> 11. >> 11. AMARI HAD. I'M SORRY.

11 A THROUGH E AND THE EXACT AMOUNT -- DO YOU HAVE IT DOWN TO THE PENNY?

>> $24,419.23. >> A TOTAL TERM TO BE PAID BACK OVER 36 MONTHS FROM APPROVAL BY THIS COMMISSION. DID I ACCURATELY RESTATE THE MOTION?

>> OKAY. MAYOR THANK YOU. >> THANK YOU.

>> ELOQUENTLY SAID BY ME BY THE WAY (LAUGHING).

>>MAYOR HUDSON: OKAY. CALL THE ROLL, PLEASE

>> (ROLL CALL). >> THANK YOU. SO NEXT WE MOVE

[a. Quasi-Judicial Hearing - Application for Conditional Use with New Construction submitted by property owner Hyer Management LLC, and representative William P. Stoddard to construct a single family home seaward of the Coastal Construction Control Line (CCCL) at 324 South Ocean Drive, Fort Pierce, FL. The property is zoned Hutchinson Island Medium Density Residential Zone (R-4A), Parcel ID: 2401-501-0026-000-3.]

[00:35:13]

ON TO OUR WAS I JUDICIAL HEARINGS. THE FIRST IS AN APPLICATION FOR CONDITIONAL USE WITH NEW CONSTRUCTION SUBMITTED BY PROPERTY OWNER HIGHER MANAGEMENT LLC AND REPRESENTATIVE WILLIAM P'S DAUGHTER TO CONSTRUCT A SINGLE-FAMILY HOME SEAWARD OF THE COASTAL CONSTRUCTION CONTROL LINE AT 324 S. OCEAN DRIVE IN FORT PIERCE FLORIDA.

THE PROPERTY IS OWNED HUTCHINSON ISLAND IDIOM DENSITY RESIDENTIAL R-4A.

>> THE CITY COMMISSION SERVES BOTH THE LEGISLATIVE AND QUASH I JUDICIAL ROLE WHEN ACTING AS A LEGISLATIVE BODY THEY ENGAGE IN LAWMAKING ACTIVITY BY PASSING LAWS AND ESTABLISHING POLICIES. WHEN ACTING AS A QUASH I JUDICIAL BODY THEY APPLY THE LAWS AND POLICIES AND IS HELD TO STRICTER -- WAS I JUDICIAL HEARINGS ARE LESS FORMAL BUT ARE MORE FORMAL THAN THE NORMAL COMMISSION MEETING. WAS I JUDICIAL PROCEEDINGS MUST FOLLOW STANDARDS OF NOTICE AND DUE PROCESS AND DECISIONS MUST BE MADE ON COMPETENCE OF SUBSTANTIAL EVIDENCE.

THEREFORE COMMISSIONERS HAVE A DUTY TO CONDUCT A PROCEEDING MORE LIKE JUDGES THAN LIKE LEGISLATORS. THAT IS WHY THE COMMISSION HAS ESTABLISHED UNIFORM PROCEDURES FOR BECAUSE I JUDICIAL HEARINGS THAT WILL BE FOLLOWED THIS EVENING.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: ALL OF THESE PROCEDURES TONIGHT WILL BE FOLLOW-UP MR. SWEENEY JUST SAID. MADAME CLARK, HAS THE ADVERTISING BEEN MET FOR THIS ITEM.

>> YES, MA'AM. THE ADVERTISING HAS BEEN MET.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: AT THIS TIME, CAN YOU AS THE COMMISSIONERS FOR ANY X PARTAKE

COMMUNICATIONS. >> I WILL CALL THE ROLL.

INDICATE WHETHER YOU HAVE HAD ANY X PARTAKE COMMUNICATIONS.

(ROLL CALL). >> YOU HAD X PARTAKE

COMMUNICATIONS? >> YES. COMMISSIONER JOHNSON?

>> YES, MA'AM. NOT WITH THE APPLICANT BUT SURROUNDING PROPERTY OWNERS.

>> COMMISSIONER PERRONE. >> YES, MA'AM. THE SAME. NOW WITH THE PROPERTY OWNER, BUT WITH FOLKS THAT ARE INTERESTED IN THE PROJECT.

>> COMMISSIONER SESSIONS? >> I THINK I KNOW THE SURROUNDING PROPERTY OWNERS. EVERYBODY HAS MASKS ON TONIGHT. I CAN'T TELL. I DON'T RECALL.

I'M GETTING A LITTLE OLD NOW. BUT I WILL GO ON RECORD AND SAY I HAVEN'T WITH THE OWNERS BUT I'LL SAY THIS, I DON'T REMEMBER. BUT I HAVE WITH THE ADJACENT PROPERTY OWNERS.

>> THANK YOU. MAYOR HUDSON. >>MAYOR HUDSON: YES. YES, I HAVE, WITH THE -- BOTH THE APPLICANT AND THE PROPERTY OWNERS. AND THE SURROUNDING

PROPERTY OWNERS. >> META-MAYOR.

>> YES A. >> IT WAS A PHONE CALL THAT I RECEIVED AND I WAS TOLD THAT THESE WERE -- THE PERSON WAS A PROPERTY OWNER. SO THAT'S WHY

I'M SAYING YES TO IT. >>MAYOR HUDSON: OKAY. MADAME CLARK, WILL YOU SWEAR IN ANY WITNESSES THAT ARE GOING TO TESTIFY?

>> YES. >> WHAT ANYONE WISHING TO SPEAK ON THIS ITEM PLEASE, STAND AND RAISE YOUR RIGHT HAND?

>> IF YOU PLAN TO SPEAK AT ALL.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: EVEN IF YOU DON'T SPEAK, BUT YOU THINK YOU MIGHT (LAUGHING).

>> OKAY. (SWEARINGEN WITNESSES.).

>> WE WILL ASK THAT YOU COMPORT AND INDICATE WHETHER YOU HAVE BEEN SWORN IN.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: IT'S TIME FOR CITY STAFF TO MAKE HIS PRESENTATION. THIS IS THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS OF STAFF BY THE COMMISSION. STAFF IS A MAXIMUM OF 20 MINUTES EXCLUDING CROSS-EXAMINATION QUESTIONS FROM THE COMMISSION. PROCEED.

>> THANK YOU. GOOD EVENING MONOMERIC MEMBERS OF THE COMMISSION. BEFORE YOU TONIGHT IS CONDITIONAL USE WITH NEW CONSTRUCTION AND DESIGN REVIEW FOR A PROPOSED SINGLE-FAMILY HOME AT 324 S. OCEAN DRIVE. STAFF WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A NOTE THAT CITY COMMISSION REVIEWED A SIMILAR HOME ON THIS SITE BACK IN FEBRUARY 2017 THAT WAS ULTIMATELY APPROVED. ON-SCREEN ISN'T AERIAL OF THE SITE. AS YOU CAN SEE IT'S A VACANT PIECE OF PROPERTY LOCATED ALONG SOUTH OCEAN DRIVE RIGHT ACROSS FROM THE AVALON BEACH CLUB. THE LAND SIZE IS APPROXIMATELY .13 ACRES IN SIZE AND IT BECAME A PLOTTED LAND OF RECORD IN NINE -- MAY 1947. UNDER NORMAL

[00:40:05]

CIRCUMSTANCES THIS HOME WOULD NOT NEED TO GO BEFORE CITY COMMISSION BECAUSE AS PROPOSED, IT COMPLIES WITH ALL CITY CODES. HOWEVER, SINCE THIS HOME IS PROPOSED EAST OR SEAWARD OF THE COASTAL CONSTRUCTION CONTROL LINE IS REQUIRED THAT THE DEVELOPMENT BE REVIEWED THROUGH A CONDITIONAL USE PROCEDURE. THE CCC L PROVIDES PROTECTION FOR BEACHES AND DUNES WHILE ENSURING REASONABLE USE OF PRIVATE PROPERTY.

THE CCCL HAS BEEN CREATED AND MONITORED BY THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF BARMEL PROTECTION. BEFORE THE SUM CAN BE BUILT WILL HAVE TO SEEK APPROVAL. I'D LIKE TO NOTE THAT THERE IS AN ACTIVE APPROVAL THAT IS BEEN MAINTAINED SINCE THE ORIGINAL APPROVAL WAS GIVEN IN GIVEN IN OCTOBER 2017.

THE FPE -- THE CURRENT PROPOSAL IS MODIFIED FOR A CHANGE IN THE CELL MATERIAL LOCATION DOES NOT INCREASE THE POTENTIAL FOR ADVERSE IMPACT TO THE BEACH OR DUNE SYSTEM OR TO ADJACENT PROPERTIES. THE LETTER HAS BEEN PROVIDED AS PART OF YOUR PACKET THIS EVENING.

THE ORIGINAL APPROVAL FROM 2017 CONCLUDED THAT THE CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITY WOULD HAVE NO SIGNIFICANT ADVERSE IMPACT TO THE BEACH OR DUNE AREAS OR TO ADJACENT PROPERTIES.

THE PROPERTY HAS A ZONING OF R LETTER FOUR-A WITH A FUTURE LAND USE OF HUTCHISON ISLAND RESIDENTIAL. STAFF IS RECOMMENDING APPROVAL AS IT IS CONSISTENT WITH THE CITY CODE AND THE COMPREHENSIVE PLAN, DOES NOT ADVERSELY AFFECT THE PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, CONVENIENCE AND GENERAL WELFARE AS PROPOSED. IT WILL NOT CAUSE AN ADVERSE EFFECT TO THE DUNE SYSTEM AND PLANNING BOARD, BACK IN MARCH VOTED 6 TO 0 TO RECOMMEND APPROVAL. THIS PROPERTY IS CURRENTLY IN THE SOUTH BEACH OVERLAY DISTRICT AND PURSUANT TO CITY CODE SECTION 22-16 3B AND SPECIFIES THAT THE MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE HEIGHT FOR A SINGLE-FAMILY HOME IN THIS DISTRICT IS 45 FEET. HEIGHT IN THE DISTRICT IS MEASURED FROM FLOOD ELEVATION AND NOT FROM EXISTING GRADE LIKE IT WOULD BE HERE ON THE MAINLAND. AS PROPOSED, THE HEIGHT TO THE PEAK OF THE ROOF IS APPROXIMATELY 41 FEET FROM FEMA BASE FLOOD ELEVATION. THE BASE FLOOD ELEVATION IS NINE FEET ABOVE GRADE. THIS IS JUST A PROPOSAL OF WHAT THE HOME WOULD LOOK LIKE UPON COMPLETION. 67 NOTIFICATIONS WERE SENT OUT TO PROPERTY OWNERS WITHIN 500 FEET OF THE SUBJECT PROPERTY. SEVEN LETTERS WERE RETURNED IN FAVOR AND 15 LETTERS WERE RETURNED IN OPPOSITION. TO SUM UP, THE LETTERS OF OPPOSITION MOST LETTERS CONTAINED CONCERNS ABOUT THE HEIGHT OF POTENTIAL IMPACTS TO THE DUNE OR BEACHES SYSTEM, SOME FLOODING CONCERNS AND THE BLOCKAGE OF YOU TO THE OCEAN IN THE JETTY.

STAFF IS RECOMMENDING APPROVAL BASED ON POOR CONDITIONS. THE FIRST CONDITION WILL REVOLVE AROUND THE MITIGATION OF A ROYAL PALM THAT IS GOING TO BE WITHIN THE DRIVEWAY AREA THAT WILL NEED TO BE REMOVED AND RELOCATED WITH THE DIRECTION OF A FORT PIERCE PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT. IT WILL BE LOCATED TO CITY PROPERTY. 2, THEY NEED TO PROVIDE ALL APPLICATIONS TO THE CITY OF FORT PIERCE ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT FOR CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITY DEALING WITH EROSION AND SEDIMENTATION CONTROL. THEY WOULD NEED TO MAINTAIN THE APPROVAL WITH THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AND PROVIDE A LANDSCAPE PLAN THAT IS SIGNED AND SEALED BY A FLORIDA REGISTERED LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT.

THE POSSIBLE ACTIONS ARE YOU CAN APPROVE THE PROPOSAL SUBJECT TO FOUR CONDITIONS IN THE PLANNING BOARD RECOMMENDED APPROVAL. YOU CAN APPROVE THE APPROVAL WITH CHANGES OR YOU CAN DISAPPROVE. I'M AVAILABLE FOR ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE. THANK YOU.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: ANY QUESTIONS OF STAFF?

>> A COUPLE OF QUICK ONES. REGARDING THE FEATURES IN THE ARCHITECTURE, MAYBE THE APPLICANT AND THE REPRESENTATIVE IS HERE, WAS THERE ANY DISCUSSION ABOUT CHANGING SOME OF THE ELEVATIONS OF THE FLOOR PLAN ITSELF ON CEILING HEIGHTS OR FLOOR

SEPARATIONS AND THAT NATURE? >> ACTUALLY, I'M GOING TO LET THE APPLICANT SPEAK TO THIS ONE, BUT THEY PREPARED AN EXHIBIT TONIGHT TO SHOW WITH THE ORIGINAL PER -- APPROVAL WAS IN 2017. WHAT THE APPROVAL WAS BEFORE STAFF RECEIVED IT BEFORE PLANNING BOARD AND THEN PURSUANT TO PLANNING BOARD DISCUSSION. IT WAS A LOWER HEIGHT AS BEFORE. SO LET THEM GO INTO A LITTLE BIT MORE DETAIL ABOUT THAT.

>> AND THAT RIGHT IN FIGURES WHEN YOU MENTIONED LAST, IS THAT WHAT IS PROPOSED IN YOUR

PRESENTATION? >> YES. THAT IS WHAT IS

PROPOSED TONIGHT. >>MAYOR HUDSON: 41. ANY OTHER QUESTIONS OF STAFF? OKAY. SO WILL THE APPLICANT PLEASE COME FORWARD AND SIGN IN? AND DO

[00:45:06]

YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OF THE STAFF? DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OF STAFF OR ANYTHING THAT YOU WANT TO ASK THE STAFF? SO YOU MAY BE EXCUSED. THANK YOU. ALREADY. AND IF YOU WILL SIGN AND AND THEN MAKE YOUR PRESENTATION? STATE YOUR NAME FOR THE RECORD, PLEASE.

>> WILLIAM STODDARD, 1717 INDIAN RIVER BOULEVARD VERO BEACH, FLORIDA.

>> THANK YOU. >> FOR USE MORNING.

>> YES. >> THANK YOU FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO SPEAK TONIGHT. I WAS HERE IN FRONT OF YOU IN 2017 AND AT THE TIME, THE PROJECT WAS THAT THE MAXIMUM HEIGHT IN THE SOUTH BEACH OVERLAY DISTRICT. THE PROPERTY WAS SOLD. THE NEW PROPERTY OWNER REDESIGNED THE HOUSE TO ELIMINATE THE FLAT ROOF AND THE DECK AREA ON THE TOP. IN THE OVERALL ROOF HEIGHT WAS REDUCED AT THE PLANNING ZONING MEETING WE HEARD THAT THE PUBLIC STILL HAD CONCERNS ABOUT THE HEIGHT AND THE WERE SOME RECOMMENDATIONS BY PLANNING AND ZONING AT THE TIME AS A POSSIBILITY TO REDUCE THE CEILING HEIGHTS. WE WENT BACK AND LOOKED AT IT. THAT'S WE ARE PRESENTING TONIGHT. WE HEARD THE PUBLIC'S CONCERNS AND WE BROUGHT IT DOWN TO, I THINK A REASONABLE LEVEL THAT YOU TYPICALLY WOULD SAY IN THIS TYPE OF HOME. AND THAT'S WHAT WE HAVE BROUGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. IN ADDITION, THERE WERE CONCERNS ABOUT THE FILM MATERIAL. THE DEP SAYS WE CAN HAVE ANY LOSS OF FILL MATERIAL SO RETAKEN EXCAVATION AND LOCATING IT ON THE SEAWARD SIDE. THERE WAS CONCERN THAT THAT WOULD CREATE DEFLECTION OF FLOODWATERS AND INCREASE FLOODING DAMAGE TO THE ADJACENT PROPERTIES. I UNDERSTOOD THAT CONCERN. WE LOOKED AT THAT. WE WENT BACK TO THE DEP AND SAID CAN WE TAKE THE FILM MATERIAL AND LOCATED AT THE SEAWARD END OF THE FRONTAL

DUNE? >> WE ARE BUILDING UP THE FRONTAL DUNE, NOT RAISING HEIGHT SO WON'T DEFLECT FLOODWATERS AND STILL MAINTAINS THE SAME VOLUME. WE WENT AND ASKED THEM FOR NO FORMAL PERM MODIFICATION. AND THEY APPROVED THE PLAN. IN ADDITION, THERE WERE CONCERNS ABOUT THE IMPACT TO THE DUNE WE EXIT 2 EXCAVATE HOW ARE WE GOING TO IMPACT THE DUNE SYSTEM THERE. SO THE PROPOSAL TONIGHT, AS WELL AS THE APPROVAL THAT WE GOT INCLUDES A TEMPORARY RETAINING WALL THAT WILL BE CONSTRUCTED APPROXIMATELY FIVE FEET SEAWARD OF THE RESIDENCE TO STABILIZE THE DUNE SYSTEM. SO WE REALLY MINIMIZE THE IMPACTS DURING CONSTRUCTION. SO I THINK WE'VE DONE MORE THAN WE WERE ASKING FOR BACK IN 2017. WE REALLY TRY TO LISTEN TO THE CONCERNS.

AND WE'VE MADE THOSE CHANGES AND WE'VE GOT THEM APPROVED AND WE ASK YOU TO PLEASE CONSIDER

THIS AND GRANT APPROVAL. >>MAYOR HUDSON: THANK YOU SIR.

ANY QUESTIONS OF THE APPLICANT?

>> COMMISSIONER PERRONE? >> REMEMBER THE ORIGINAL PROPOSAL. IT STARTED OFF WITH AN ELEVATOR SHAFT AT THE TOP OF THE ROOF AND THEN WE FIXED ALL OF THAT TO WHAT WE HADN'T 2017. AND I'M LOOKING AT WHAT 20/20 HAS TO OFFER AND IS GETTING BETTER. MAYBE IF WE WAIT 10 YEARS IT'LL LOOK GREAT (LAUGHING) I'M SURE THE APPLICANT'S -- (LAUGHING). THIS THING, THERE'S BEEN A LOT OF ITERATIONS OF THIS DEVELOPMENT AND IT'S SOMETHING THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN ALONG SOUTH OCEAN. WE KNOW IS WHAT HAPPENED IN THESE LITTLE 50 OR 55 FOOT LOTS, YOU CAN ONLY BUILD A CERTAIN PRODUCT ON THERE. YOU CANNOT LIVE IN THE BOTTOM FLOOR. SO ALL THESE THINGS HAVE -- IS DIFFERENT THAN ANYWHERE ELSE I THINK IN MAINLAND FLORIDA. SO I DO APPRECIATE THE FACT THAT WE HAVE REDUCED THE SIZE AND I THINK THE ARCHITECTURAL EMBELLISHMENT OF THE ROOF LINE

IS BETTER THAN IT WAS BEFORE. >>MAYOR HUDSON: ANY OF THE QUESTIONS OF THE APPLICANT? ASK OKAY. IS THERE ANY MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK ON THIS ISSUE? IF YOU HAVE BEEN SWORN IN, PLEASE COME FORWARD. SIGNING FOR ME.

PLEASE. AND I THINK I SAW YOU WERE SWARMING, CORRECT?

[00:50:22]

>> I WAS. STATE YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS FOR THE RECORD.

>> MY NAME IS BILL RINCON I LIVE AT 355 S. OCEAN DRIVE SO ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE PROPOSED LOT. ANNA WAS HERE AT FIRST I WANT THANK YOU ALL FOR LETTING ME COME DOWN. A FEW OF US CAME DOWN TO EXPRESS OUR FEELINGS ABOUT THE PROPOSED LOT. I WAS HERE IN 2017.

THERE WAS ABOUT THREE DOZEN OF US WERE SO THEY CAME DOWN AT THAT TIME. THERE ARE MORE THAT DISAPPROVE OF THE PROPOSED STRUCTURE NOW, BUT BECAUSE MOST OF THEM WERE SENIOR CITIZENS AND WITH THE COVID, THEY DECIDED TO STAY HOME TONIGHT. ANYWAY, I BELIEVE YOU COMMISSIONERS. YOU BASICALLY HAVE TWO INTERESTS. ONE IS TO INCREASE REVENUE FOR THE CITY, MAINLY THROUGH PROPERTY TAX BASE AND THE OTHER WOULD BE, I HOPE, YOU HAVE AN INTEREST IN MAINTAINING THE HIGH QUALITY OF LIFE FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE LIVED HERE AND PAID PROPERTY TAXES FOR YEARS, DECADES. I'D LIKE TO THINK THIS WOULD BE THE MAYOR'S PRIMARY CONCERN. I HAVE BEEN A TAXPAYING CITIZEN OF FORT PIERCE FOR OVER 45 YEARS THE END BECAUSE I OWN RENTAL APARTMENTS, I HAVE PAID WELL OVER HALF $1 MILLION IN PROPERTY TAXES. I'M HERE TONIGHT TO ASK YOU, MAYOR AND COMMISSIONERS, TO GIVE SIGNIFICANT CONSIDERATION TO THE DOZENS OF GOOD, TAXPAYING CITIZENS, MOSTLY SENIORS, WHO WILL BE IMPACTED BY A TALL BUILDING IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD. AS IT WAS WHEN MR. MANDEL ON THE LOT THE HEIGHT OF THE STRUCTURE CONCERNS THESE RESIDENTS AND MYSELF. AT THE HEIGHT OF MUCH MORE THAN 33 FEET FROM STREET LEVEL, THIS BUILDING WILL OBSTRUCT THE VIEW OF THE BEACH CONSIDERABLY FOR MANY OF THE AVALON APARTMENTS AND OBSTRUCTED VIEW OF THE INLET FOR MOST OF THE PEOPLE THERE. FOR MANY YEARS WE RESIDENCE ON THE 300 BLOCK OF SOUTH OCEAN UNDERSTOOD THAT 324 WAS A REGULAR AND ON BUILDABLE LOT FOR A FEW REASONS. OBVIOUSLY, THAT HAS CHANGED.

WE KNOW THAT MR. HIGHER PAID A LOT FOR THE LOT. WHILE OUR FIRST CHOICE WOULD BE NO BUILDING WE WOULD ASK FOR A COMPROMISE. WE WOULD ASK FOR HEIGHT RESTRICTION OF NO MORE THAN 38 FEET FROM STREET LEVEL. THIS COULD BE A THREE-STORY BUILDING OF 10 FOOT FLOORS IN OTHER WORDS, 10 FEET CEILING HEIGHT INSTEAD OF 12 FEET. THE DESIGN THAT HE HAS NOW IS FOR 12 FEET CEILINGS. SO THIS WOULD REDUCE, BY SIX FEET THE DESIGN THAT HE HAS THE 41 FEET.

THAT WOULD BE ACCEPTABLE TO US. WHILE I DON'T SPEAK FOR EVERYONE BUT I SPEAK FOR MOST OF THE PEOPLE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD. SO, WE ARE TRYING TO HAVE A BUILDING THAT'S ABOUT 36 FEET TO 38 FEET HIGH. THIS WOULD BE ACCEPTABLE UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES. WE

KNOW WE DO NOT HAVE. >>MAYOR HUDSON: THANK YOU SIR.

TIME IS UP. >> OKAY. ANYONE ELSE WANT TO SPEAK ON THIS ITEM? ANYONE ELSE?

>> MAYOR, I HAD TWO PEOPLE EMAIL SWORN STATEMENTS.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: WOULD YOU READ THEM, PLEASE.

>> THE FIRST ONE IS FROM STEVE TARR OF 111 ORANGE AVENUE. FIRST, WOULD LIKE TO WELCOME THE APPLICANT TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD. THERE HAS NOT BEEN A HOME A BELT ALONG THE OCEAN FOR MANY YEARS. BECAUSE OF THIS DEVELOPMENT VOID, THE CITY HAS LOST SIGNIFICANT TAX REVENUES WHICH COULD HAVE BEEN USED TO PAY THEIR POLICE EMPLOYEES, PAVED ROADS PROVIDE RECREATION SERVICES, COVER LOSSES FROM THE THEATER AND GOLF COURSE, PROPERLY STAFFED THE CODE ENFORCEMENT DEPARTMENT AND MUCH MORE. THE ONGOING RESISTANCE TO PROGRESS BY LONGTIME RESIDENTS IS A REPUTATION THAT THE CITY NEEDS TO REMEDY IN ORDER TO RAISE REVENUES TO PROPERLY FUND THESE DEFICIENCIES. AS FOR THE APPLICANT, I HOPE YOU RECEIVE A BETTER WELCOME THAN MR. MANDEL DID IN THE PAST ON THIS SITE. IT IS UNCONSCIONABLE TO ME THAT THEY RECENTLY -- A NEIGHBOR THAT WAS PASSING AROUND A PETITION IN OPPOSITION TO THIS APPLICATION. I HOPE THE FEW FOLKS SIGNED IT AND THAT IT DISAPPEARED. IRONICALLY, THAT

[00:55:07]

FOLKS SUBJECT RESIDED IN AN EIGHT STORY BUILDING ACROSS THE STREET THEY COULD NOT BE BUILT TODAY. TO CONCLUDE, THE CITY OF FORT PIERCE VIRTUALLY MISSED THE RECENT EIGHT-YEAR REAL ESTATE ECONOMIC RECOVERY WHICH LED MOST CITIES IN FLORIDA TO BE FLUSH WITH REVENUES DUE TO PROPERTY VALUE INCREASES IN LOWER MILLAGE RATES. OUR RESIDENTS AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT NEED TO EMBRACE PROGRESS OR EXCEPT DRIVING ON THESE ROADS FOR YEARS TO COME.

PLEASE WELCOME THIS NEW HOME AND DEMONSTRATE TO THE PUBLIC THAT FORT PIERCE IS WILLING TO PROGRESS AND DISPEL ITS LONG-STANDING NO GROWTH REPUTATION.

AND I HAVE ANOTHER FROM CHARLES HAYEK OF 1111 FERNANDINA STREET. GOOD EVENING, MADAM MAYOR, COMMISSIONERS, MEMBERS. THE ISSUE CAME BEFORE THE PLANNING BOARD ABOUT FIVE YEARS DURING MY TERM ON THE BOARD. RESIDENTS OPPOSE THE APPROVAL OF THAT STRUCTURE, NOT BECAUSE OF THE HEIGHT, BUT BECAUSE OF THE ARCHITECTURE. IT HAD AN ART DECO DESIGN WITH A FLAT ROOF. ALTHOUGH THAT PROPOSED HOUSE WAS ABOUT FOUR FOOT HIGHER THAN THE PROPOSAL BEFORE YOU TONIGHT, THE PLANNING BOARD PASSED UNANIMOUSLY. THIS STRUCTURE HAS A STANDARD ROOF AND MORE IN KEEPING WITH THE DESIGN OF SURROUNDING PROPERTIES. ALSO, AT THE COMMISSION MEETING DURING THE DISCUSSION OF INCREASING THE POLICE BUDGET ONE OF THE COMMENTS FROM A COMMISSION WAS THAT WE NEEDED TO INCREASE DEVELOPMENT SO THE CITY WOULD HAVE MORE MONEY TO INCREASE BUDGETS. IF WE LIMIT CONSTRUCTION ON OUR OCEANFRONT PROPERTIES, BUYERS AND INVESTORS WILL GO ELSEWHERE TO BUILD ON THE OCEAN. PLEASE VOTE TO APPROVE THIS CONDITIONAL USE. THANK YOU.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I'M GOING TO CLOSE THE PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD ALTHOUGH I WOULD ASK IF THE APPLICANT HAS ANY CLOSING REMARKS. YOU ARE WELCOME TO MAKE THEM IF YOU WANT TO MAKE ANY CLOSING REMARKS. NO? OKAY. ALL RIGHT. SO NOW, WE WERE BACK TO THE COMMISSION WE ARE CLOSE FOR PUBLIC COMMENT. I WILL ENTERTAIN -- MR. JOHNSON?

>> THANK YOU MA'AM. A COUPLE OPTIONS HERE TODAY. THE ARCHITECT AND THE APPLICANT, IT LOOKS LIKE THEY HAVE DONE A GOOD JOB IN ADDRESSING SOME OF THE ISSUES. WE'VE RECEIVED CORRESPONDENCE, OR LEAST I DID, FROM THE SURROUNDING NEIGHBORS THAT HAD SIMILAR RECOMMENDATIONS OF REDUCING FLOOR HEIGHTS AND CEILING HEIGHTS PER FLOOR THAT WOULD REDUCE THE OVERALL ELEVATION. IN COMPARING WHAT WE REVIEWED IN 2017, IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, THE FEATURES ARE ABOUT 45 FEET AND I EVEN -- HERE ON THIS DISPLAY, I BELIEVE THAT THAT ELEVATOR SHAFT WAS TRYING TO INCORPORATE AS AN ARCHITECTURAL EMBELLISHMENT AND THAT IS BEEN REMOVED. SO NOT ONLY HAVE WE GONE FROM 45 TO 41, DICK WAS ACTUALLY ABOUT 48 IF I REMEMBER. BUT AS MY MEMORY. THAT'S ALL I HAVE AT THIS MOMENT. BUT IT'S MORE THAN THE 45 FEET. AND SO, THE GENTLEMAN THAT SPOKE HERE FROM AVALON, I THINK MR. WYNN, YOU TALKED ABOUT 38 FEET FROM THE STREET HERE WE ARE AT A 41. THAT'S BASE FLOOD ELEVATION. I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT IS NOT CONFUSED. BUT I THINK THERE HAS BEEN A LOT OF GOOD DONE HERE WITH THIS DESIGN. THE DESIGN HAS GOT SOME ARCHITECTURAL EMBELLISHMENTS THAT -- AND WHAT WE ARE SEEING EARLIER WITH THE BLUE RENDITION IS A VERY NICE TOUCH TO THE BEACH AND I THINK WE ARE RIGHT WHERE WE NEED TO BE AS FAR AS BEING ABLE TO LIVE IN A SPACE, FITTING IT ON THE PROPERTY PROTECTING THE DEW LINE AND THEN GETTING BELOW THE MAXIMUM HEIGHTS. SOME GOOD WITH THE PRESENTATION.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: COMMISSIONER PERRONE?

>> I WAS HOPING TO HEAR -- ANYTIME THAT YOU HAVE FOLKS IN OPPOSITION, WE ARE HELD TO A HIGHER STANDARD HERE, SOME LISTENING FOR THE SUBSTANTIAL EVIDENCE THAT WE WOULD HAVE TO SAY THAT THIS IS NOT GOING TO WORK OR THAT WE CAN VOTE AGAINST IT OR WHATEVER. I'M GOING TO TELL YOU THAT ALL HAVE SEEN HIS IMPROVEMENTS OVER WHAT WE HAVE APPROVED IN 2017. THE -- THE COMPLAINTS -- THIS INCLUDES SOME OF THE EMAIL COMPLAINTS I GOT DUNE IMPACT.

IT HAS BEEN ADDRESSED I THINK PLUS THE FACT THAT THE FINAL AUTHORITY ON THAT IS FDEP I'M SURE THEY ARE NOT GOING TO LET ANYTHING GET AWAY FROM THEM.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: THEY VARDY WEIGHED IN ON IT, RIGHT?

>> THE VIEW, IF I LIVED IN AVALON ON THE EIGHTH FLOOR ON THE FIFTH FLOOR, I WOULD BE SQUAWKING ALSO. BUT REALLY, URE THAT AGAINST THE RIGHTS OF THE PROPERTY OWNER. THE PROPERTY OWNER PAID A LOT OF MONEY FOR THIS CERTAIN 55 FOOT SQUARE AND THEY SHOULD HAVE EVERYTHING AVAILABLE TO THEM TO DEVELOP THAT IN ANY WAY THAT IS ALLOWABLE BY LAW. AND WE HAVE MADE THIS CONDITIONAL USE. WE HAVE MADE THIS AVAILABLE TO THE SYSTEM. AND

[01:00:01]

IF YOU TAKE A LOOK AT IT, THERE IS A LOT OF VACANT PROPERTY ALL THE WAY FROM OCEAN VILLAGE ALL THE WAY TO THE JETTY. I'M HAPPIER WITH THE DESIGN THAT I SEE IN FRONT OF ME NOW BECAUSE THAT MAY BE THE STARTING POINT FOR MOST OF THESE FOLKS COMING IN HERE ON THESE DEVELOPMENT OF THE SMALLER LOTS. I MEAN IF YOU TAKE A RIDE DOWN ON ANYONE A INTO THE SOUTHERN PART OF THE COUNTY AND YOU SEE SOME OF THOSE SALT BOXES THAT ARE BEING BUILT ON TOP OF EACH OTHER, ONLY BELIEVE ME, THIS IS MUCH MORE OF AN IMPROVEMENT. I'M SORRY THE IMPACTS AVALON ARE THERE, BUT WE NEED COMPETENT SUBSTANTIAL EVIDENCE TO BE ABLE TO MOVE FROM THE PRESENTATION AND I DO NOT SEE ANYTHING AT ALL. IN FACT, I'M EMBRACING THE PRESENTATION AND WOULD

SUPPORT IT. >>MAYOR HUDSON: ANY OTHER DISCUSSION COMMISSIONERS SESSIONS?

>> I KNOW WE HAVE COME A LONG WAYS FROM WHERE WE WERE IN THE BEGINNING AND THE APPLICANT PROBABLY FELT LIKE THIS WAS A LITTLE MORE THAN WHAT I HAD REALLY THOUGHT AT LEAST A LITTLE MORE THAN WHAT I WOULD NORMALLY BITE INTO UNDER THESE CIRCUMSTANCES. AND I THINK THEY HAVE DONE AN EXCEPTIONAL WELL JOB IN TERMS OF TRYING TO ADHERE TO THE NEIGHBORS AS WELL AS GET THE BEST BANG FOR THE DOLLAR IN TERMS OF SQUARE FOOTAGE IN ARCHITECTURE. AS YOU POINTED OUT, THIS IS PROBABLY GOING TO SET PRECEDENTS IN TERMS OF THAT TYPE OF ARCHITECTURE. AND IF THERE IS ANYTHING TO START FROM, CERTAINLY SOMETHING ALONG THESE LINES IS SOMETHING THAT WE CAN BE PROUD OF IN TERMS OF WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS IN THE FUTURE CONSTRUCTION IN THAT AREA BECAUSE THERE IS A LOT OF EMPTY PROPERTY OUT THERE AND THE LOTS ARE SMALL. BUT SOMETHING AS NICE AS THIS -- AND THEY'VE DONE QUITE A BIT OF WORK UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES MOST PEOPLE PROBABLY WOULD HAVE SOLD IT AND LEFT IT. BUT IN LIGHT OF THE AREA AND WHAT WE HAVE, THEY DIDN'T GIVE UP. THEY PUT A LOT OF MONEY INTO IT AND I'M READY TO START COLLECTING TAXES ON IT. I'VE GOT A WHOLE LOT OF POLICE OFFICERS OUT THERE THAT NEED SOME MONEY. AND NOT JUST GOES -- IN TERMS OF WHAT WERE DOING HERE. WE HAVE SOMETHING GREAT TO OFFER IN OUR TAX BASE IS SOMETHING THAT WE'VE GOT TO START A LOT OF PEOPLE GET DISCOURAGED BECAUSE THEY DON'T LIKE FIGHTING CITY HALL. AS YOU SAID EARLIER BENT OVER BACKWARDS. I THINK AT THIS POINT -- I SYMPATHIZE WITH THE NEIGHBORS, BUT I THINK TO SOME DEGREE, WHAT MORE CAN WE DO? COMMISSIONER PERRONE POINTED OUT LEGALLY WE DO NOT HAVE A LEG TO STAND ON. IT DOES NOT IMPROVE SAFETY HAZARDOUS ISSUES THAT WE COULD EVEN DENY ON IT AT THIS POINT. SO WITH THAT BEING SAID, I HAVE NO ISSUE

WITH IT. >>MAYOR HUDSON: MR. ALEXANDER?

>> I JUST WANT TO SAY WHAT A BEAUTIFUL STRUCTURE IS COMING INTO THE CITY OF FORT PIERCE.

AND I THINK WE NEED TO WELCOME THE OWNER AND MOVE FORWARD.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: OKAY. ACCESS TO.

>> JUST ONE MORE COMMENT. I APPLAUD AVALON BEACH CLUB BECAUSE OF THE STRATEGIC LOCATION OF THE PROPERTY ACROSS THE STREET TO PRESERVE THE PROPERTY FOR THE BEACHFRONT IN THE ACCESS POINT AND IT IS AT AN INTERSECTION WITH A CROSSWALK AND THEY CAN -- THEY HAVE THE VIEW OF THE OCEAN RIGHT IN FRONT. SO THAT IS -- TALK ABOUT FORETHOUGHT, THERE IT IS. THAT IS THE BEAUTY OF IT. AND WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE. SO I THINK IT IS A GREAT PRODUCT SO I WILL MAKE A MOTION TO APPROVE WITH STAFF CONDITIONS.

>> SECOND. >> SECOND.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: OKAY. CALL THE ROLL, PLEASE.

>> (ROLL CALL). >>MAYOR HUDSON:

CONGRATULATIONS. GOOD JOB. >> THE NEXT ITEM IS A

[b. Quasi-Judicial Hearing - Review and Approval of an application for Conditional Use with no new construction submitted by property owner and applicant, Ann F. Harris, to establish a Dwelling Rental, offering lodging for less than six (6) months, with a minimum rental period of 31 days at 722 Granada Street, Unit A, Fort Pierce, FL.The property is zoned Hutchinson Island Medium Density Residential Zone (R-4A), Parcel ID: 2401-503-0094-000-6.]

QUASIJUDICIAL HEARING FOR THE REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF AN APPLICATION FOR CONDITIONAL USE WITH NO NEW CONSTRUCTION SUBMITTED BY PROPERTY OWNER AND APPLICANT AND HARRIS TO

[01:05:04]

ESTABLISH A DWELLING RENTAL OFFERING LODGING FOR LESS THAN SIX MONTHS WITH A MINIMUM RENTAL PERIOD OF 31 DAYS AT 722 GRANADA STREET UNIT A IN FORT PIERCE FLORIDA. THE PROPERTY

IS ZONED MEDIUM DENSITY RUNS -- >>MAYOR HUDSON: THE QUASIJUDICIAL PROCEEDINGS ARE IN PLACE AND SO MADAME CLARK, HAS THE ADVERTISING BEEN MET

WITH THIS ITEM. >> YES.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: COULD YOU AS THE COMMISSIONERS FOR EX PARTE COMMUNICATIONS?

>> COMMISSIONER ALEXANDER, HAVE YOU HAD EX PARTE COMMUNICATIONS?

>> NO. >>MAYOR HUDSON: COMMISSIONER

JOHNSON? >> NO, MA'AM.. NO.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: COMMISSIONER PERRONE?

>> NO. >> COMMISSIONERS SESSIONS.

>> NO, MA'AM. >> MAYOR HUDSON.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: NO, MA'AM. >>MAYOR HUDSON: WE WILL NOW HAVE HER HEARING AND WOULD YOU LIKE TO SWEAR IN THE WITNESSES?

>> WHAT ANYBODY WISHING TO SPEAK ON THE ISSUE PLEASE STAND AND RAISE YOUR RIGHT HAND?

(SWEARING IN OF THE WITNESSES.). >>MAYOR HUDSON: NOW, IT IS YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO PRESENT THE STAFFS APPLICATION PLEASE.

>> GOOD EVENING. CITY COMMISSIONERS. THIS IS A CONDITIONAL USE APPLICATION BY THE APPLICANT AND HERE IS FOR THE SUBJECT PROPERTY AT 722 GRANADA STREET UNIT A. THE PROPERTY IS LOCATED AT THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF GULFSTREAM AVENUE AND GRANADA STREET AND IS APPROXIMATELY .16 ACRES. SUBJECT PROPERTY HAS A FUTURE LAND USE OF HIR HUTCHINSON ISLAND RESIDENTIAL WITH A ZONING OF HUTCHINSON ISLAND RESIDENTIAL WITH A ZONING OF R-4A. THE APPLICANT IS SEEKING THE APPROVAL OF THE CONDITIONAL USE TO OPERATE THE DWELLING RENTAL FOR LODGING LESS THAN SIX MONTHS WITH A MINIMAL OF 31 DAYS. STAFF RECOMMENDS APPROVAL SUBJECT TO AGE CONDITIONS. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ADD THAT IN YOUR PACKET THE WORST SEVEN CONDITIONS. BUT DUE TO A MISTAKE WE ADDED AN ADDITIONAL CONDITION, WHICH IS PRETTY MUCH SOMETHING THAT, IN THE CITY CODE THAT IS REQUIRED. FOR THE SIDEWALKS.

SO HERE IS A BRIEF SYNOPSIS. ORDINANCE K ã114 PASSED IN 2001. FLORIDA LEGISLATURE IN 2011 PROHIBITS CITIES FROM DENYING SHORT-TERM RENTAL USES ARE ALLOWED QUASIJUDICIAL HEARING, THERE'S NO VALIDATED EVIDENCE IS CONSISTENT WITH THE CODE, NO CODE ENFORCEMENT OR POLICE DEPARTMENT CURRENT VIOLATIONS AND CONDITIONS OF APPROVAL ARE BEING ADDED TO PROTECT THE NEIGHBORHOOD. THERE WERE 182 NOTIFICATION SENT TO ADJACENT PROPERTY OWNERS. SEVEN IN FAVOR 13 IN OPPOSITION. HERE ARE THE POSSIBLE ACTIONS OF THE COMMISSION APPROVED THE USE SUBJECT TO CONDITIONS WITH NO CHANGES APPROVED WITH CHANGES OR DENY CONDITIONAL USE. THE STAFF RECOMMENDS APPROVAL SUBJECT TO EIGHT CONDITIONS PROPERTY MANAGER SHALL BE AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES TO RESOLVE COMPLAINTS OF VIOLATIONS OF CITY CODE. 2 GUIDE BOOKLETS AVAILABLE FROM CODE ENFORCEMENT SHALL BE PROVIDED TO RENTERS REGARDING LOCAL RULES AND PUBLIC SURFACE RESOURCES TO MINIMIZE CONFLICTS. 3 THE APPLICANT SHALL FILE FOR SAINT COUNTY -- ST. LUCIE COUNTY AND CITY OF FORT PIERCE BUSINESS TAX LICENSES. IT SHALL BE INCLUDED ON ADVERTISING. 6 THE MAXIMUM OCCUPANCY OF THE HOME SHALL ENSURE COMPLIANCE WITH CITY CODE SECTION 8.5-43. 7 PAVED THE REQUIRED PARKING SPACES PER CITY CODE SECTION 22-60 SUBSECTION C SUB CERTAIN SET OF SURFACE MATERIAL AND MADE PURSUANT TO CODE SECTION 22-62 SIDEWALKS. PLEASE INSTALL A SIDEWALK ALONG GRANADA STREET OR SUBMIT PAYMENT IN LIEU OF WITHIN 90 DAYS OF CONDITIONAL USE

APPROVAL. >>MAYOR HUDSON: ANY QUESTIONS OF STAFF? THANK YOU VERY MUCH. WILL THE APPLICANT PLEASE COME FORWARD? IS THE APPLICANT

HERE? >> I DO NOT BELIEVE SO.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: OKAY. THERE IS NO APPLICANT PRESENTATION. AT THIS TIME, IS THERE ANY OTHER MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK ON THIS ISSUE? SEEING NO ONE, WE WILL CLOSE THE HEARING AND WE WILL DISCUSS AMONG OURSELVES AND I'LL ENTERTAIN A MOTION.

>> JUST TO COMMENT, I DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING IN THE STAFF CONDITIONS THAT WAS DIFFERENT OR ENHANCED ANYTHING ABOVE AND BEYOND WHAT WE HAVE APPROVED IN THE PAST. DID YOU SEE ANYTHING

THAT CHANGED? THE CONSISTENT. >>MAYOR HUDSON: EXCEPT THE

[01:10:02]

SIDEWALK THING IS THAT ALWAYS IN THEIR.

>> THAT'S OCCASIONALLY AND THERE.

>> IF THEY DON'T HAVE A SIDEWALK.

>> OKAY. ALL RIGHT. OKAY. NO, I DID NOT. MONOMERIC?

>> COMMISSIONER PERRONE? >> ONE OF THE ITEMS THAT WE LOOK AT IS IN MANY OF THE CONDITIONAL USES THAT WE HAVE DONE IN THE PAST, THE OWNER OF SEARING FORT PIERCE OR PORT ST. LUCIE OR SOMEWHERE IN ST. LUCIE COUNTY. IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN

THESE FOLKS LIVE IN ATLANTA? >> YES.

>> AND THEY HAVE A LOCAL MANAGER THAT HAS BEEN RETAINED TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS. NOW, THE QUESTION IS IS THAT YOU HAVE TO HAVE A LOCAL MANAGER TO BE ABLE TO CONTINUE THE PROCESS. AND I KNOW -- I THINK I READ THROUGH YOUR WHERE THEY EVENTUALLY -- WHEN THEIR LIVES GET TO THE POINT WHERE THEY WANT TO GET SOME TYPE OF CALMNESS AND FUNDS THE DEMO BACK TO FORT PIERCE. THAT'S WHAT EVERYBODY DOES (LAUGHING) I MEAN SOME OF US HAVE MOVED THERE EARLIER ON FOR THE FUN ANYWAY, JUST TO MAKE SURE THAT THAT IS PART OF THE CONDITION AND IF THAT SHOULD CHANGE IT ANYWAY, THAT WOULD AFFECT THE APPROVAL ON THIS CONDITIONAL

RENTAL, RIGHT. >> IF I MAY, MATTER MAYOR?

>> YES. AS YOU WILL HAD MENTIONED, WE HAVE STANDARD CONDITIONS FOR VACATION RENTALS AND DWELLING RENTALS IN THE FIRST ONE IS ALWAYS A REQUIREMENT TO HAVE A PROPERTY MANAGER WHO IS LOCAL AND REGISTER WITH STATE LATE REGISTERED WITH ST. LUCIE COUNTY. WHEN IT DOES COME IN FOR BTR WE CHECK THAT.

>> YOU REQUIRE THEM TO TELL YOU WHAT THAT IS AND GIVE YOU CONTACT INFORMATION OR THE

CLERK DOES? >> RIGHT.

>> GO AHEAD. >> CAN YOU PUT THE CONDITIONERS

ON WOW THE CONDITIONS UP. >> IT'S KIND OF LONG. THIS IS

THE FIRST SET. >> THANK YOU. COMMISSIONER

PERRONE. >> A FOLLOW-UP QUESTION, JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY BECAUSE THESE TYPES OF CONDITIONAL USES ARE STARTING TO COME MORE FREQUENTLY. HOW IS OUR PROCESS TO BE ABLE TO GO THROUGH A CONDITIONAL USE FOR VACATION RENTAL OR SHORT-TERM RENTAL COMPARED TO MOST COMMUNITIES IN FLORIDA? I KNOW THERE'S -- I THINK THERE ARE FIVE DIFFERENT STAGES FROM PREOP TO ADD UP TO TECHNICAL REVIEW AS IT GOES DOWN THROUGH THE PROCESS. AND I KNOW EACH ONE HAS A VALUE AND FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE, ARE WE, AS FAST AS WE POSSIBLY CAN WITH ALL THE CONDITIONS IN ALL OF THE -- ALL THE ASPECTS THAT THE COMMISSION EXPECTS TO GET OUT OF THIS BY THE TIME HE GETS TO US?

>> MATTER MAYOR? WHEN IT COMES TO WHAT OTHER MUNICIPALITIES ARE DOING RIGHT NOW, I'M JUST GETTING STARTED IN DOING THIS RESEARCH. FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS I'VE BEEN ON THE PRIVATE SECTOR SIDE SO I WAS NOT DEALING WITH VACATION RENTALS. WE ARE LOOKING AT DATA NEXT WEEK, WE ARE HOLDING A WORKSHOP WITH THE PLANNING BOARD. AND OUR GOAL IS TO WALK OUT OF THERE HAVING REVIEWED OUR CONDITIONS MODIFYING THEM ADDING TO THEM AND LOOKING AT HOW WE CAN MAKE SOME OF THESE CONDITIONS MORE ENFORCEABLE. WE'RE LOOKING AT NUMBER ONE HAS A REALLY GOOD METHOD TO NOT ONLY REQUIRE THE PROPERTY MANAGER FOR THE UNSIGNED MAINTENANCE FOR THE ACTUAL PEOPLE WHO ARE RENTING, BUT ALSO TO ASSIST IN THE MANAGEMENT OF THAT PROPERTY WITH THE NEIGHBORHOOD RATHER THAN HAVING THAT RELIANCE SOLELY ON POLICE AND -- ON THE WEEKENDS IF SOMETHING WERE TO HAPPEN OR CODE DURING THE WEEK.

BUT PERHAPS MAKE THE PROPERTY MANAGER MORE ACCOUNTABLE. BUT WE ARE ALSO GOING TO LOOK AT WHAT OTHER CITIES HAVE AND WE WILL HAVE THE PRESENTATION NEXT WEEK. SO THAT WILL BE AT 1 PM MEETING WITH THE PLANNING BOARD. BUT I'VE YET -- I HAVE NOT COMPLETED THAT YET.

>> SO IF WE ARE NOT IN THIS PANDEMIC THAT WE ARE, I WOULD LIKE TO GO BACK TO THE WAY THINGS WERE NORMAL, BUT I GUESS THAT NORMAL HAS LEFT AND WERE GOING TO HAVE A NEW NORMAL.

SOMEBODY DISINTERESTEDNESS CONDITIONAL USE, WHAT CAN THEY EXPECT? I KNOW YOU HAVE THE FORMS ALREADY TO GO, THE APPLICATION. I'VE READ THROUGH. IT SEEMS LIKE IT'S PRETTY CLEAR. IF I STARTED TODAY, HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE ME.

>> IS TIME-CONSUMING BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS IN THE CODE. SO VACATION RENTALS, AND DWELLING RENTALS, THEY ARE CONTROLLED UNDER OUR CODE UNDER THE CONDITIONAL USE PROCESS. IT'S CONDITIONAL USE WITHOUT CONSTRUCTION. BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO FOLLOW THE PREOP, THE TRC, THE PLANNING BOARD AND ULTIMATELY, THE CITY COMMISSION. RIGHT THERE YOU'RE LOOKING AT FOUR MONTHS. AND WE REALLY, AS A CITY, WE ONLY CAN REGULATE BY PUTTING CONDITIONS AND GOING THROUGH THIS PROCESS BECAUSE IT IS IN OUR CODE RIGHT NOW. BUT THE STATE, THROUGH

[01:15:06]

PROFESSIONAL REGULATION ARE THOSE THAT ARE ANNUALLY SUPPOSED TO BE DOING THE INSPECTIONS AND MAKING SURE THAT THEY ARE MEETING THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE STATE BECAUSE THEY ARE THE REGULATORY AGENCY. WE HAVE FALLEN INTO THIS BECAUSE WE HAVE IT AS A CONDITIONAL USE IN OUR CODE. AND I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY CITIES OR THE COUNTY. I DO NOT BELIEVE THE COUNTY HAS THAT BUT I'M JUST BEGINNING TO DO THAT RESEARCH.

>> I THINK COUNTIES ARE DIFFERENCES CITIES AS FAR AS THAT GOES. I MEAN I KNOW -- I THINK INDIAN RIVER COUNTY, YOU WALK IN, YOU PAY A FEE.

>> THERE'S A TAX RECEIPT. >> YOU ARE RENTING THE NEXT WEEK. I'M NOT SAYING THAT HAS TO BE REALLY FAST. FOUR MONTHS SOUNDS A LITTLE LONG TO ME.

I'D RATHER IT BE 90 DAYS,IN THAT RANGE. BUT DRAFT OF THE PUBLIC TO BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND AND TO GET THAT INFORMATION TO BE ABLE TO WEIGH IN ON ITS. A LOT OF TIMES, IF IT WASN'T 30 DAYS A LOT OF TIMES IT'S DONE BEFORE YOU FIND OUT ABOUT IT. I WANT TO BE THAT WAY ABOUT THE WHOLE THING. THE COMMISSION HAS ALWAYS SAID THAT WE WANTED THE INPUT FROM THE COMMUNITY AND SO WE HAVE TO HAVE THAT. I JUST DO NOT WANT TO BE THE ONES I'M NOT GOING TO DO IT. IT TAKES YOU SIX MONTHS TO GET THE PROCESS DONE. AND THEN THEY KEEP FINDING THINGS TO SEND YOU BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD ALL THE TIME. I'M NOT SAYING THAT HAPPENS HERE, I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT WE CAN STREAMLINE THE PROCESS AS MUCH AS WE POSSIBLY CAN, AS YOU WOULD EXPECT IN A

DYNAMIC CITY THAT WE HAVE. >> I, MORE THAN ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE IT STREAMLINED. WE HAVE A LOT OF VACATION RENTALS COMING AND THERE IS NEW CONSTRUCTION BUT HE GIVES US AN OPPORTUNITY TO ACTUALLY -- IF THERE'S NOT A DRIVEWAY WELDER REQUIRED TO HAVE A DRIVEWAY. YOU ARE ENHANCING THE PROPERTY. IF WE CAN MAKE SOME OF THESE -- SOME OF THESE CONDITIONS, ENFORCEABLE, DO WE HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE SURE THAT THESE UNITS LOOK BETTER THAN A LOT OF OWNER OCCUPIED HOMES BECAUSE WE DO NOT HAVE THE MANPOWER TO MANAGE ALL OF THEM WERE WE WILL HAVE A LIST. WILL HAVE THEM REGISTERED. I UNDERSTAND THAT IT CAN BE TIME-CONSUMING FOR PETITIONERS BECAUSE IT IS FOUR MONTHS AND RIGHT NOW, I HAVE TO TREAT EVERYONE THE SAME. AND THAT'S WHY WE ARE MAKING FIVE CONDITIONS PRETTY MUCH FOR THESE STANDARD CONDITIONS. IF THERE IS ANYTHING SITE-SPECIFIC LIKE THE SIDEWALKS WERE A DRIVEWAY, THEN WE WOULD ADD THOSE.

>> AGAIN, IT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL IF BEFORE PEOPLE BROUGHT PROPERTIES THAT THEY WERE GOING TO USE IT FOR THAT THEY WOULD UNDERSTAND THAT WE HAVE A CONDITIONAL USE PROCESS.

BECAUSE THE STATE LEGISLATURE HAS TIED OUR HANDS IN ANY OTHER WAY, REALLY. SO THIS IS SOMETHING THAT WE NEED TO TWEAK AND WE NEED TO PROTECT THE PROPERTY OWNER AS WELL AS THE

SURROUNDING PROPERTY OWNERS. >> AND MATTER MAYOR, WITH THIS PROCESS BEING A CONDITIONAL USE, A LOT OF THE OTHER CITIES THAT DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING THEY BEEN PREEMPTED BY THE STATE. THEY DON'T HAVE ANY ABILITY TO MONITOR AND PERHAPS THAT IS WHY SOME OF THESE COUNTIES, OTHER AREAS, DON'T HAVE A PROCESS BECAUSE THEY NEVER HAD ONE IN PLACE AND WE DID IN 2001 AND THE WHEN THE REGULATIONS CAME INTO EFFECT IN 2011, IT VESTED

US. >> WE WERE GRANDFATHERED IN.

>> EXACTLY. WE WERE LUCKY. >> IS THERE ANY OTHER

DISCUSSION? >> A QUESTION FOR YOU. JUST TO PICK YOUR BRAIN A LITTLE BIT. YOU SAY WE HAVE A LOT OF THESE THAT ARE ON THEIR WAY, DO YOU HAVE A REASON FOR SAYING THAT ARE WHY DO YOU FEEL THAT WAY.

>> RIGHT NOW ON PROCESSING, IN ADDITION TO THIS ONE, FIVE OR SIX MORE. SO JUST IN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS YOU WILL SEE ONE JULY 20, AUGUST 3 YOU WILL SEE THREE AND THEN THERE ARE THREE MORE THEY JUST CAME IN ON FRIDAY.

>> ALL RIGHT. I'M JUST -- OUR HANDS ARE TIED. I'M JUST WONDERING, DOES THE COMMUNITY HEAR OR SEE WHAT'S GOING ON FROM A LEGISLATIVE STANDPOINT? WELL I'LL STAY AWAY FROM THAT.

>>MAYOR HUDSON: WE HAVE TO GO TO TALLAHASSEE (LAUGHING).